• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notifications and other issues

kingdave

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Manchester
I'm having some problems with my G4 that are really beginning to bug me! I'm on Marshmallow, but have done a factory reset (twice!) since I upgraded, and I can't figure out how to get these settings back to how they used to be.

1. Facebook Messenger no longer displays a preview of the message at the top of the screen when a new one arrives. Text messages do this, Hangouts does this, Facebook itself does this, but Messenger just has the message icon appear in the status bar.

2. If I adjust the media volume, say while watching a YouTube videos or something, the volume indicator does not disappear from the screen until I press the screen again. Previously when adjusting volume it would vanish after a second or two. Now it only happens if I press the screen again.

As far as I can tell, all the screen permissions are correct, and drawing over apps is set up identically for each, but for these two issues they don't work.

Before I factory reset (again!) does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem with the display issues here?

Third problem is Facebook specific:

3. If I am trying to reply to a comment with a photo the G4 will only allow me to select a photo that I have taken or a screenshot. It will not let me select any downloaded images! I can use these images if I am writing a post and putting a photo in the original post, but never if I am replying with a comment!

Fourth is kind of related to 3:

4. If I am searching for a picture on the web (usually Google Images) and download it, the dowloaded icon in the status bar is greyed out rather than a white down arrow. If I click it, no matter which app I ask it to open the image with, it says it cannot open it. The images are usually just standard jpeg or PNG files, no weird formats and it makes no difference which web browser I use (I've tried Chrome, Ad Block and the LG browser)

Any ideas?!

1. Probably the new improved security in MM,
Settings>Apps>Messenger>Permissions
See what's allowed. Looking at mine I actually only have "contacts" checked in there so maybe it is just a case of allowing the chat heads (go into messenger app and furthest right tab (personal / settings) and check the chat heads is checked).

2. I am not sure, I have noticed that these stay on for a long time, but they eventually do disappear. Are you rooted? I believe there is an option in tweaksbox somewhere that allows to change the time the headsup thing stays up, imagine that is the same.

3. I have noticed this to and it really winds me up. I think that is a Facebook bug which I have searched trying to find an answer for. I have ended up having to go to the picture and screen shotting to post it. However, it does see some of my downloaded images, just not all, very strange. If you come up with something let me know.

4. I haven't had this issue but I have had one similar, mine does download it and I can open it but if I go out of it and look for it in the gallery I can't find it, it is there in file explorer though. This that I am explaining does relate to above. Have you tried a different downloader for your issue? Sounds like it is corrupt :/

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones