1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Notifications, what's your favorite customization app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by randallflores00, Jun 24, 2014.

1. randallflores00

None

Jun 21, 2014
    So I've had this phone for almost a week now and while I love it, there are definitely some things I miss about the iPhone. I've posted previously about my other questions and have had them all answered, so thank you to y'all for being patient with me. There's one final (I say that now lol) question I have for you more advanced Android/Galaxy users here.

What is your favorite custom notifications app available? I've seen tons and know that each person has their preferences, but I'm really looking for an app that does a few specific things.

1. I want the phone to "wake up" and show my notifications on the lock screen...I've searched and messed with all the default settings with TouchWiz and have yet to find that option. The only ones I can find are the little blinking light that changes colors with notifications and making the camera's flash illuminate, neither are what I want.

2. Is there an app that makes the notification bar at the top larger? For example, I receive notifications for BREAKING NEWS tweets on twitter. Whenever I'm using the phone and a notification comes through, it has to scroll for 3 or 4 pages to get through the entire message on that tiny one-bar notification panel.

3. I want certain apps to elaborate on their notification in the lock screen...if I receive a message on one of many messaging apps I use, only the symbol appears on the notification bar, there's nothing more than that. No message preview, no "New Message From..." nothing at all. Is it possible for an app to do this, or is this an issue with each individual app's notification settings?

As before, thank yall for your time :)

Advertisement

2. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Male
    Waco, TX
    in the messaging app, you can go to settings, notifications, and click the check bod to preview message, on lock screen, and status bar. also, you can have it pop up display the messages.

there are other apps that have the same kind of features.

3. randallflores00

None

Jun 21, 2014
    I have all of these options selected, yet my phone still never turns on to show me notifications.

4. randallflores00

None

Jun 21, 2014
    It makes the sound, vibrates, and the little blue light flashes in the top right corner, but the screen doesn't wake up to display notifications

5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    1. I want the phone to "wake up" and show my notifications on the lock screen...I've searched and messed with all the default settings with TouchWiz and have yet to find that option. The only ones I can find are the little blinking light that changes colors with notifications and making the camera's flash illuminate, neither are what I want.

TMK, nope

2. Is there an app that makes the notification bar at the top larger? For example, I receive notifications for BREAKING NEWS tweets on twitter. Whenever I'm using the phone and a notification comes through, it has to scroll for 3 or 4 pages to get through the entire message on that tiny one-bar notification panel.

TMK, nope

3. I want certain apps to elaborate on their notification in the lock screen...if I receive a message on one of many messaging apps I use, only the symbol appears on the notification bar, there's nothing more than that. No message preview, no "New Message From..." nothing at all. Is it possible for an app to do this, or is this an issue with each individual app's notification settings?

TMK, nope

but there is always hope that someone out there knows a work around.

6. jrowlings

jrowlings Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    San Francisco
    Handcent and Chomp have a setting to wake the screen w/ the pop up notification.

7. mistaj33

mistaj33 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    Computer Consultant
    New Orleans
    There are tons of options available. It's going to boil down to what you want exactly on your phone.

Personally, I use two apps for handling notifications:

1. LightFlow - This app handles notifications from all types of apps. It allows for changing the LED color and blink rate for everything. It also allows you to set up custom vibrate/ring patterns for each app, as well as repeating notifications.

2. DynamicNotifications - This app basically mimics the notification handling of the MotoX and similar devices. It will light up the screen for set amounts of time and allow you to read/dismiss notifications. It also utilizes the AMOLED screen on the S5 by only displaying simple icons with a black background in order to minimize battery usage.

8. VivisClone

VivisClone Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2013
    Male
    Highly recommend evolve SMS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klinker.android.evolve_sms

In app purchases but totally worth it. It's my favorite SMS agent that does what you want as well

9. andrei2112

andrei2112 Member
    None

May 21, 2010
    Noled it's the best app that you looking for, u can set it to have blink spot, default icon or custome one for every notification of any application on your lock screen with different colours and many another setting. I used for 3 or 4 years and it's first app that I install with any new phone i have... So good luck

10. jamaica168

jamaica168 Newbie
    None

Oct 7, 2012
    Try Nils notifications, not sure if it works right with s5.

11. jas84047

jas84047 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2014
    Female
    GO SMS with GO Notifications

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.