• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NSA Writes Code For Android ???

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
After reading another thread which mentioned this, I decided to search this. Found this article.
NSA Is Writing Security Code For Android | WebProNews

I got to thinking about this for a while, and to be honest I think I'm okay with it so long as they are not spying on us.
I consider Edward Snowden a Good guy, even though he leaked so much information about the NSA and is probably the most wanted person by the CIA, NSA, and FBI right now he's cool.
The NSA has a LOT of bad reputation, and everytime I hear the acronym the first thing that comes to my mind is "This must be a bad thing".
But after reading the article, got me thinking about the good thing that could come from this. Formally the government used BlackBerry Phones, but with their "Lack of innovation and usability" they need something better. What is better than Android, where they can write security code for it??

Just as long as they are not spying on us, having them write security code could be a good thing?
I had my Apple account hacked like 3 times, so no way that I trust Apple with security at all. And I only had my Apple account for like 1 year. My Google Account with every thing they know and the information Google has on me for the passed 6 years. Never a problem.

:)

The source code for Android is free to download and review for everyone. I'm sure SOMEONE other than Google has gone through it, if the NSA slipped something in there for spying, it would have come out by now.

I read an article where the NSA's contribution to Android was akin to their contribution to Linux, which has been reviewed by many people and nothing suspicious was found.

Upvote 0
The source code for Android is free to download and review for everyone. I'm sure SOMEONE other than Google has gone through it, if the NSA slipped something in there for spying, it would have come out by now.

I read an article where the NSA's contribution to Android was akin to their contribution to Linux, which has been reviewed by many people and nothing suspicious was found.

Yes, I think that some may freak out because of the reputation of the NSA. But if they plan on using it, and they want to better security, then that's a good thing. As long as they don't spy on me. Because there's nothing else to go.

Upvote 0
not sure this is even a potential red flag for anyone....... who cares if the NSA is writing code for android.... they dont need to spy on anyone using Android

Google was among the most prolific and in many cases eager to please in giving all the information to the NSA....... the NSA doesnt need anything more on your phone..... Google already hands over any information about anyone using android (or anything else associated with Google) that they ask for

my guess is this was some sort of Quid Pro Quo........ you tell us everything we want to know..... and we'll write the code that youre programmers are too inept for

Upvote 0
not sure this is even a potential red flag for anyone....... who cares if the NSA is writing code for android.... they dont need to spy on anyone using Android

Google was among the most prolific and in many cases eager to please in giving all the information to the NSA....... the NSA doesnt need anything more on your phone..... Google already hands over any information about anyone using android (or anything else associated with Google) that they ask for

my guess is this was some sort of Quid Pro Quo........ you tell us everything we want to know..... and we'll write the code that youre programmers are too inept for

Right. So their fight against secret NSA letters isn't happening. Source that they do it eagerly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones