• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Numerous issues, but is Droid still worth the pain?

I have very few issues, made a couple bug reports and enchancement requests in googles android dev forum but thats it. I crashed it once when I filled up the SD card, rebooted once for the update, then once after that when I thought I had a calendar sync problem but turns out its something with the way the calendar sync is handeling the location field so the reboot wasn't needed at all.
I have some seen some app crashes, but usually the next app update fixes that.
Its a lot more stable that windows mobile.
Its an advances device running a full OS, just like your computer, do you return your computer every time you have a problem with it?

Upvote 0
After this long list of replies I'm sure he doesn't want one now. The real answer is the Droid has the same quirks other smartphones do....and if your phones is defective....have verizon replace it. I have had dumbphones get hosed on me...its the law of electronics. If you like it get it...if not, move on.

Upvote 0
My Droid can't find GPS.. It just stays on "Searching for GPS" when I try to Navigate. My Use GPS is toggled on. - Google Mobile Help

The short of it:

Just keeps "Searching for GPS..." in Google Nav. Even on fresh out of the box phones. Mine was working great then just stopped.... no changes to the phone. Still unresolved after many attempted fixes. Did not think anything of it until it happened to me... after I've come to depend on it. So naturally I... like everyone else, start looking for resolution.

I find, that like with most electronic things, if part of it stops working, turning it off and back on again fixes it. I assume you tried that? I did go through a short period one day where the GPS wouldn't hook up but it didn't last long.

Upvote 0
Love my droid. No real issues.. have had some glitches but nothing that a restart wont solve.

But.. don't forget there IS at 35.00 restocking fee if you do return it. Not to discourage.. just wanted to share.

Get it!

Just a note for anyone thinking about buying a Droid. If you buy at Best Buy, they do not charge a restocking fee should you decide to switch or return the phone (I did this myself. I first bought an Eris, then changed it for a Droid)...(within 30 days of course)...

Upvote 0
I don't have a Droid yet either but thinking about taking the plunge from a BB Curve. Uncertain about a touch screen and uncertain about leaving BB.

I fully understand that every sophisticated device is going to have problems especially with advanced users who are looking to push the limits of what the phone can do. It's almost a race to find all the bugs. I get that.

That being said, what are your legit gripes with the phone and are they being fixed on the horizon. It doesn't do this or that but it's fixable with a firmware update. I'm not talking about advanced stuff that comes up with maybe 1% of the owners but regular usage. What do you wish was different about the phone?

I'm not a power user. I mainly want to be able to communicate via phone/text/IM and surf the net during down time at work and otherwise entertain myself (forward disgusting MMS to friends, listen to podcasts, streaming radio, ...).

Upvote 0
I'm not a power user. I mainly want to be able to communicate via phone/text/IM and surf the net during down time at work and otherwise entertain myself (forward disgusting MMS to friends, listen to podcasts, streaming radio, ...).

If this is mainly what you do then you'll have little to worry about. I'd get it, try it out for the 30days. Worst case you'll return it (however I doubt it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones