• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Obamaphone service - through VIrgin Mobile - Annoying Ads

Actually, I called Assurance Wireless customer service.

First, they told me to wipe out and reset all the phone. But, immediately, they still appear.
Then I was told to disable an app called ONLINE PLUS. So, not Launcher3 & not Instant News but mostly ONLINE PLUS.

You can try it before wiping out the data. Setting => Apps & Notification => See all 31 apps and select Online Plus. Click DISABLE.

So far, so good. Been days here, pretty quiet....

p.s. Does NOT have to do with Google or Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, they appear independently with the App

Reactions: Rusureuwant2know
Upvote 0
Was "Obamaphone" really a thing? Show me a link please. I kind of doubt you.
Why would you doubt someone when you can look it up and verify it yourself?
This is what these phones do. I had one that did the same thing. First thing when it boots up is load an ad for a game. Pretty sure it's Assurance Wireless that is responsible. The phones come preloaded with malware. It can't be google doing an individual ad thing because I don't play games - and it does it w/o having anything downloaded on the phone. I spend more time cleaning up the phone and waiting for the thing to work than I do using it. This is not what folks looking for work need - sucking up precious time and getting in the way rather than helping. They are junk. Probably old, used, and "reconditioned" phones. If you needed it to save your life, you'd die. The slowness is no doubt due to virtually next to no RAM, no storage space, and even if you add space, moving apps to the other disk is problematic. They don't display the menu on Google Play, so updating any really useful apps you download (like notes) is also a problem. Obamaphones are like someone's sick joke on poor folks.

Upvote 0
Actually, I called Assurance Wireless customer service.

First, they told me to wipe out and reset all the phone. But, immediately, they still appear.
Then I was told to disable an app called ONLINE PLUS. So, not Launcher3 & not Instant News but mostly ONLINE PLUS.

You can try it before wiping out the data. Setting => Apps & Notification => See all 31 apps and select Online Plus. Click DISABLE.

So far, so good. Been days here, pretty quiet....

p.s. Does NOT have to do with Google or Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, they appear independently with the App

I could not uninstall Online Plus - had to disable it instead

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones