• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand all the negative responses surrounding the possibility of it being a 1.5Ghz dual core exynos. I'm totally with serial killer, I think that will be the processor in the device announced on tuesday.

All this garbage about the processor not even sampling yet is bogus. I confirmed through SK telecom's website that the Galaxy S II LTE which uses the 1.5Ghz dual core exynos has been on sale, which means mass produced, since September 28th. If it is in a production phone in korea already why can it not be in a production phone in the US within a month??

could you provide a link to the s ii lte using exynos please. all reports seem to be that it's using a qualcomm chip from what i've seen

Upvote 0
All this garbage about the processor not even sampling yet is bogus.

Possibly agree with that.

I really don't see google/samsung opting for an overclocked 4430 for their flagship device.

Absolutely agree with that. No chance in Hell of an overclocked 4430. That's exactly what tipped me off this a.m. that something was wrong. I was willing to entertain an underclocked 4460 to explain away the 1.2 Ghz possibility but even that was a stretch.

Maybe the guys that actually have some early models that work for google do have 4430's clocked to 1.2ghz but the final product will have the 1.5 exynos and thats where all these completely different leaks are coming from...

Good theory. That or there's an organized deception effort as a few others have opined.

10 char. Anybody understand how on earth to multi-quote? I've been around here since Reagan was in office and yet I still can't figure it out.

Upvote 0
So you are leaning to GSM Arena this time? What about Lee Johnston's one in between? We actually got three reports if that one counts. I really hope BGR got it wrong.

Yes GSM...I think Lee got the clock speed right but may have gotten the processor wrong. So yes I'm leaning more toward the GSM report simply because of the Samsung CTIA page stating a Gaming and Entertainment handset plus what I stated earlier. That GPU is a hoss..

Upvote 0
could you provide a link to the s ii lte using exynos please. all reports seem to be that it's using a qualcomm chip from what i've seen

Why certainly =) I always like links to back info as well. Remember... this is the KOREA Galaxy S II LTE and HD LTE devices.

Samsung announces 1.5GHz Exynos chipset, 16MP camera - GSMArena.com news

You might be thinking about the T-mobile variant of the plain SGSII which is yet to be released I believe. Here is a great read about the processor swap for the qualcom and why it was a bad idea for tmobile..... exynos FTW!!!

How Samsung’s chip change-up affects the T-Mobile Galaxy S II | ExtremeTech

Reactions: kyler13
Upvote 0
I still don't understand all the negative responses surrounding the possibility of it being a 1.5Ghz dual core exynos. I'm totally with serial killer, I think that will be the processor in the device announced on tuesday.

All this garbage about the processor not even sampling yet is bogus. I confirmed through SK telecom's website that the Galaxy S II LTE which uses the 1.5Ghz dual core exynos has been on sale, which means mass produced, since September 28th. If it is in a production phone in korea already why can it not be in a production phone in the US within a month??

As for the ICS was designed for OMAP4 theory..... really?? I'm not a programmer, so i'm sure its much more difficult then it sounds, but it just needs to be ported over to the exynos architecture. Look at all the different processors the current flavor of android runs on right now. With all the secrecy surrounding ICS and this device, how do we not know that they switched ICS development from being based on the OMAP4 a long time ago.

if the delay of the OMAP4 4460 is true, I really don't see google/samsung opting for an overclocked 4430 for their flagship device. Maybe the guys that actually have some early models that work for google do have 4430's clocked to 1.2ghz but the final product will have the 1.5 exynos and thats where all these completely different leaks are coming from....

Where are you getting that the GS2 LTE being sold in Korea has the exynos processor in it? It's said to be 1.5GHz but that could be a couple different processors. If they supposedly aren't even sampling the exynos 4212 yet I can't see them putting a basically untested processor in phones being sold to consumers. Think about it for a second. If their is a bug in the silicon that's a huge risk of all those phones being returned and them having to be replaced for free. The cost of that could kill a company. Software they can issue a bug fix, hardware either the customer gets screwed with a permanently flawed phone or they are forced to eat an enormous expense.

I don't know about you but I don't want to be carrying a flawed phone around for the next 2 years because the processor was rushed to market.

Upvote 0
Why certainly =) I always like links to back info as well. Remember... this is the KOREA Galaxy S II LTE and HD LTE devices.

Samsung announces 1.5GHz Exynos chipset, 16MP camera - GSMArena.com news

You might be thinking about the T-mobile variant of the plain SGSII which is yet to be released I believe. Here is a great read about the processor swap for the qualcom and why it was a bad idea for tmobile..... exynos FTW!!!

How Samsung’s chip change-up affects the T-Mobile Galaxy S II | ExtremeTech

the 4212 isn't even sampling until Q4 of this year. it won't be going into any products this year

edit: sorry, here's the link.. http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/newsView.do?news_id=1264

Samsung's new Exynos 4212 application processor will be sampling to select customers in Q4 2011.

note *select* customers. there's a chance we don't even see this chip in 2012. to suggest it would be in a phone already on the market is absurd

Upvote 0

As for the ICS was designed for OMAP4 theory..... really?? I'm not a programmer, so i'm sure its much more difficult then it sounds, but it just needs to be ported over to the exynos architecture. Look at all the different processors the current flavor of android runs on right now. With all the secrecy surrounding ICS and this device, how do we not know that they switched ICS development from being based on the OMAP4 a long time ago.

if the delay of the OMAP4 4460 is true, I really don't see google/samsung opting for an overclocked 4430 for their flagship device. Maybe the guys that actually have some early models that work for google do have 4430's clocked to 1.2ghz but the final product will have the 1.5 exynos and thats where all these completely different leaks are coming from....
Could not have said it better myself. To dismiss it right away is crazy. I think it is not out of the realm of possibilities of it releasing with those specs. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Question is will it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
the 4212 isn't even sampling until Q4 of this year. it won't be going into any products this year

not correct... it says it'll be sampled to some select customers in Q4... it could be already used in a samsung-own product, like the (samsung galaxy) nexus prime...

first OMAP 4460 was set to be the standart SoC for ICS... now the omap 4460 is delayed until 2012, so google may have changed to the exynos SoC, and so this SoC will be the new standart, and the following Android-4.0-Devices (only the ICS-ones, so select customers) can be powered by this chip, too...

just another theory by me... and nothing official ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry!! Just realized that link was just stating that they SHOULD have exynos processors. Still trying to find where it said they have the exynos chip.... that may have been for the HD LTE only and not the LTE. Either way... the HD LTE is shipping this week or next in korea anyway. I'll find the page where it states it has the exynos and not a qualcomm in the HD LTE.

I think it was already reported that LTE SGSII (Celox) has 1.5Ghz S3 snapdragon when it was shown in IFA Germany early September.
Not sure about HD SGSII though. I haven't seen any thing confirming it has 1.5Ghz new or old Exynos yet. Most reports say it's got 1.5Ghz dual core.

edit: I don't get some of you saying OMAP 4460 got entirely delayed until Q1 next year. Only Archos tablet was reported having trouble with chip supply and so it was pushed back to Q1 next year. This has nothing to do with chips for smart-phones. I saw reports saying it started sampling in Q2 this year.

Upvote 0
not correct... it says it'll be sampled to some select customers in Q4... it could be already used in a samsung-own product, like the (samsung galaxy) nexus prime...

that's not how mobile chips work. like i said in my edit, we aren't seeing that chip anytime soon. it's NOT in the nexus phone. sample doesn't mean production ready ;)

first OMAP 4460 was set to be the standart SoC for ICS... now the omap 4460 is delayed until 2012, so google may have changed to the exynos SoC, and so this SoC will be the new standart, and the following Android-4.0-Devices (only the ICS-ones, so select customers) can be powered by this chip, too...

just another theory by me... and nothing official ;)

aside from a random assumption from androidandme from a facebook post, who said the 4460 was delayed? unless it was from TI, i wouldn't believe that rumor

Upvote 0
that's not how mobile chips work. like i said in my edit, we aren't seeing that chip anytime soon. it's NOT in the nexus phone. sample doesn't mean production ready ;)

how do you know? are you an samsung employee? don't think so, right now there is nothing official... if you are of the opinion that we won't see the exynos chipset in the nexus prime, ok thats your personal opinion... i won't discuss mine/your opinion with you ;)

Upvote 0
how do you know? are you an samsung employee? don't think so, right now there is nothing official... if you are of the opinion that we won't see the exynos chipset in the nexus prime, ok thats your personal opinion... i won't discuss mine/your opinion with you ;)

i'm not suggesting there isn't a exynos chip in the nexus phone (although my opinion is there isn't) i'm simply saying there is no way in hell the 4212 is in the nexus phone :)

Upvote 0
i'm not suggesting there isn't a exynos chip in the nexus phone (although my opinion is there isn't) i'm simply saying there is no way in hell the 4212 is in the nexus phone :)

I happen to think that there IS a way in Hell that this processor could end up in the next Nexus phone. How big of a chance? Maybe not that big of one, but nonetheless, there's a chance.

Upvote 0
ahh young grasshopper I would not be so sure. There is a very real possibility.

You can say you don't think it will ship with it but you can't say there is no way in hell

Upvote 0
never say never ;)

you can't be sure... i'll keep believing until october 11th... and i keep beleiving in the GSMarena-tipster..

maybe nexus 4 if you wanna keep your hopes up lol ;)

if you've got some time on your hands, have a look around here Handheld Technology - Beyond3D Forum you'll find a lot of great information

edit: and it's interesting everyone is telling me i'm wrong, when samsung themselves are telling me i'm right. why is it so hard to believe? lol. a chip sampling to select vendors in Q4 is NOT shipping in any device this year. sorry guys, time to do some homework

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones