• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my morning off before work and just upgraded the Bionic to the latest Theory ROM with the leaked new OTA. Fixed the camera lag a bit but battery life is still a bit painful. I leave it on the charger all day at work just because.

Anyway, I'm a bit torn on what to do for the GN. I think my wife isn't too excited about taking over the Bionic (esp since putting on a beast of an Otterbox Commuter on it), so I'm looking into what the going rate is. Swappa seems to be selling them for $400-$550 so and ETF for upgrade wouldn't be so bad. The problem is, she doesn't want a phone so big, so there's not much out there on LTE except the Strat. (and that weird Pantech) phone that are sub 4.3" screen. Either way, the Nex is on my way!

Upvote 0
Good morning Gnexers! :D

Is Verizon stuck in a real quandary here? :thinking:

No doubt they wanted to push the RAZR as THE phone to get. Motorola being their preferred OEM, they were going to sink their marketing resources into selling RAZRs. But: now they have seen the absolute FIRESTORM of support and demand for Nexus from us, they're bewildered as to which one to market the most heavily! After all, they owe their stockholders money... and they HAVE to go where the money is, despite their desire for locked-down, controlled phones.

Now Verizon sees the mega-dollar signs hanging over Nexus and modest demand for RAZR, at best. And they're shifting gears in a hurry.

What has happened? We've all been waiting for the game-changer. Folks, it's looking more and more like we ARE the game-changer. I would like to think that our demand for this phone has Verizon reacting to US for once... not the other way around.

What think you?

I'm kind of thinking Verizon is tossing them both up to see which phone is going to be the FlagShip and hoping both will. I think putting the RAZAR out 1st is a good move in that direction.
The regular Joe, non-techy consumers are far many than the likes of us and the Motorola brand carries as much weight or more than Sammy.
I think Verizon could possibly have two success story flagships on their hands.
I am starting to admire their strategy. If I read it correctly.

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
There was some talk earlier about signature requirements for delivery of our new Nexus phones. Here is the policy page from Fedex:

http://www.fedex.com/us/update1.html

For what it's worth, my wife's ip4 came 2 days early. The fedex guy usually will leave our package since he has delivered a few packages here before. Plus, those guys have to know there is somebody living at that address dying to get their hands on what's in that box.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I 100% agree. Anything over a year on anything is like getting married.

Hey, carriers! Who do you think you are? I'm already married to a human being! How about a 1-year contract? :mad:

Plus that early termination fee is like alimony or something!

Or stay with a 2-year contract, but give an upgrade option after year 1. Vzw gets to lock you in for 2 years, but we get new phones every year. Win-Win! :D

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
There was some talk earlier about signature requirements for delivery of our new Nexus phones. Here is the policy page from Fedex:

FedEx Home Delivery - Federal Express Shipments - FedEx Door Tag Signature

For what it's worth, my wife's ip4 came 2 days early. The fedex guy usually will leave our package since he has delivered a few packages here before. Plus, those guys have to know there is somebody living at that address dying to get their hands on what's in that box.

Do you have the option when pre-ordering with Verizon to have it shipped to a different address? I know I've done that before when getting a replacement phone through Asurion or through warranty replacement from Verizon. Just not sure if you can do that when pre-ordering online, since this will be my first ever pre-order (assuming there is a pre-order period).

Upvote 0
And finally: Does anyone recognize this person?

Attachments

• BLD040311.jpg
    BLD040311.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0
Getting tired of all of this doom and gloom news I keep seeing about the SGN not having Gorilla Glass. Until it's further clarified what kind of fortified glass they're using, they're just fearmongering and people are biting.

We just have to remember that Google is involved in selecting every single part of this phone, and I can only hope they wouldn't skimp on one of its biggest selling features(a 4.65 inch HD screen) just to save a few bucks over using Gorilla Glass.

Upvote 0
Do you have the option when pre-ordering with Verizon to have it shipped to a different address? I know I've done that before when getting a replacement phone through Asurion or through warranty replacement from Verizon. Just not sure if you can do that when pre-ordering online, since this will be my first ever pre-order (assuming there is a pre-order period).

Not sure, I didn't try. Some places are funny about delivery address being different from billing address.

Upvote 0
1. In the Incredible pre-release thread, there were numerous reports of people getting phones 1-2 days early, but I would not expect it.

2. They will not accept anything but their signed permission slip. If you signed one in the past (I signed one shortly after I first moved here), and check the box for "all future deliveries" or whatever it is, they will leave all future boxes requiring a signature. You may want to consider calling UPS/FedEx and asking if you can sign one at your local store/warehouse in advance.

With regards to the screen, it will not be as bad as running a phone app on a tablet because of the smaller screen size. However, you most certainly do have a point. Tablet optimized apps will surely look great. For example, I'll be interested to compare the regular Angry Birds to Angry Birds Rio as Rio is designed for higher resolution displays.

i got my incredible 2 days earlier than launch when I pre-ordered it

Upvote 0

FedEx Home Delivery - Federal Express Shipments - FedEx Door Tag Signature

Not from what I know. They get fired if they have a "shipper required signature" indication on the package. No if, ands or buts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones