• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy S5 First Impressions Thread***

I'm very disappointed in this phones lack of docking ability compared with Note2. Very disappointed. None of the docks and car mounts I had for the Note2 work on the S5, not even to charge let alone audio or hdmi output. It's very unlike samsung to reduce functionality and convenience in a new model.

Exactly what happened when Apple changed the charging point on the iPhones to the Lightning connector.. lots of unhappy people!

Upvote 0
Love mine. Had the Note 2 & S3 before. Got this S5 with a black flip leather case two days ago. I'm a pro photographer so the camera features are important, like when I go to Disneyland next week, I will leave my Nikon D3 at home and use this phone instead. Along with that, the screen is real nice, battery lasts all day for a change, 5 screen modes, it's FAST... Weather proofing is nice too. A lot of nice features and programs on this phone.

My only complaint is the color choices. I like RED. Here in the NW, there is only black or white to choose from. So when they come out with a good looking red flip case, I'll get one.

You know what gets me though... all the reviews bashed the "plain Plastic" looks of the S5. It doesn't look or feel cheap at all to me. Feels very solid. If you drop it, Samsung plastic is more durable then the alum or metal finishes on the other phones.

Here the thing... all the reviews rave about how good the HTC & iPhone looks... and say the Samsung is, uh... Bland... well most people go and put a case of some kind on their phone and then all that hype is moot. I got the S-View Flip Cover.

I like Samsung as most of my gear is Samsung, my notebook, Tab 3, S3, Note 2 and several different sizes Samsung HDTV's in the house. So I wasn't gonna jump ship this time. Glad I didn't.

As a pro photographer, I like the 5 different screen modes to choose from. Not many phones have that, if any. I use the Professional Photo mode when showing my clients photos off my phone, the Adapt Display when outdoors and the Cinema mode the rest of the time. This screen is fabulous for showing photo's too!

I keep finding other good stuff on this phone as I go. :)

Upvote 0
What's happening guys...as a guy coming from a longtime iPhone user, had the 3, 3gs, 4, 4s and 5...this screen is absolutely stunning! It's taking me awhile to get used to the UI, but so far, amazing! Also as a longtime "jail breaker", is there a root available for the G900A yet?

Yes there is a root available, thats exactly what I am doing this weekend at some point

How to Root Galaxy S5 (All Models) on Android 4.4.2 KitKat Stock Firmware

That will give u all the info you need :)

Reactions: Showstopper1969
Upvote 0
Yes there is a root available, thats exactly what I am doing this weekend at some point

How to Root Galaxy S5 (All Models) on Android 4.4.2 KitKat Stock Firmware

That will give u all the info you need :)

Can you explain WHY you want to root a perfectly good phone that has only been out for a week??? :thinking:

I can understand if the phone is aging, but C'mon... it just came out.
Enlighten me please.

I use to build & repair custom high-end computers, so I imagine this is similar.

Upvote 0
Can you explain WHY you want to root a perfectly good phone that has only been out for a week??? :thinking:

I can understand if the phone is aging, but C'mon... it just came out.
Enlighten me please.

I use to build & repair custom high-end computers, so I imagine this is similar.

To get rid of the junk apps that Verizon and AT&T and all the other carriers insist we must use....

At least, with the S5, I now have the option to DISABLE all that crap, which I did in short order.

Upvote 0
Ok, as explained to get rid of bloatware, but it has other uses too :)

Also, what I love about this phone, is the ability to install Custom Firmwares which I have done on the wifes... if you dont know about these, check out this one

CyanogenMod | Android Community Operating System

Do a search for cyanogenmod then use Picture search and you can see what it looks like, I think its really cool :)

Its fantastic, I will also be doing this at the weekend, and, for the A T&T guys, installing that then allows you i *THINK* to root your phone :)

Upvote 0
To get rid of the junk apps that Verizon and AT&T and all the other carriers insist we must use....

At least, with the S5, I now have the option to DISABLE all that crap, which I did in short order.

Seems like a good idea but won't that void the warrantee if something happens and phone breaks for whatever reason and I have to take it back and not able to revert back to stock?

However all that is moot as when I read the article, there wasn't any roots for the AT&T version which I have.

Upvote 0
Yeah AT&T lock there boot loaders so try and install the cynagen mod if that works you can install the cm root and you can alway revert back to a standard stock firmware if you need to return it for a repair if needed
What happens if the phone quits working for whatever reason, drops or boo-boos, and you can't get it turned on to revert back to stock? A lot of times that happens you know.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperami
Yeah AT&T lock there boot loaders so try and install the cynagen mod if that works you can install the cm root and you can always revert back to a standard stock firmware if you need to return it for a repair if needed

jack58: What happens if the phone quits working for whatever reason, drops or boo-boos, and you can't get it turned on to revert back to stock? A lot of times that happens you know.

Well, guess you will need to dig deeper into your pocket :-(

On my Galaxy S Fascinate (Verizon), I never tried to root it. As of now, neither AT&T or Verizon phones has a Root Kit available for them. Nasty folks at those two carriers don't want us to quit using their junk apps.

I don't fully understand this thought. With Verizon at least, I could purchase the phone legally unlocked already IF my pockets felt like shelling out full retail...
My SSA income can't afford that so, I will stay with it the way it is.

The S5 did allow me to uninstall Message+ from Verizon. Was surprised at that one. Replaced it with GoSMS.

The other items I just disabled to get them out of the way.

Upvote 0
Coming from an HTC Evo 3D, I made the jump to my 1st Samsung phone this week and also said goodbye to Sprint (13 yrs) and hello to Verizon. 1st thing that has impressed me is the battery life, got it 2 days ago and it just now showing 15% life as I type this. Phone is extremely fast, and lightweight. 4.4 is gonna take some getting used to coming from 4.0, no biggie. I have a Canon DSLR so I wasn't worried about the camera and I know the Galaxy phones take fantastic pictures. I have 2 Samsung smart tv's and this phone integrates with them perfectly. I bought the white one as all of my past phones have been either black or silver. My only complaint is not being able to write to the SD card which from what I've been reading is a Kit Kat issue. Currently trying to find a sms backup app that can write to the card. I had to exchange this phone for another the day after I bought it because of a defective headphone jack, other than that it's been great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones