• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Old school phone user looking 4 modern phone

Hi all! I posted this in the newb section, and I need help. Im an old school cell user looking to switch phone, I've got T-MOBILE and wish to remain with them however I would like to switch to a modern cell for the primary reason of surfing the net with wifi, simillar to itouch, but I dont want to get an itouch. I want a phone with such capabilities that I wont need to pay extra for the data & web packages, also would like to have some sort of text document program for on the fly.....

as you can tell from my post I am a noob, been using my old school phone for a while, any suggestions please?

All Android phones will fulfill your prerequisites. So, narrowing that down to T-Mobile, you've got the following options:

Nexus One
myTouch 3G
Samsung Behold II
Motorola Cliq

The N1 is the most powerful of the lot, no question asked--and one of the most powerful smartphones available right now, period, with its hardware. It's also, out of this lot, got the biggest screen (if that's a factor for you). Being a Google phone, it will receive OS updates the fastest, weeks or even months before every other device.

If you're not a power user and don't require the latest and greatest I don't have much to say about the Cliq as I'm unfamiliar with it, but the myTouch 3G is a very solid phone that's good at what it does.

Upvote 0
get the phone and then a week down the road, call up t-mobile's customer service number and cancel the internet.

T-mobile stores and possibly customer service will tell you that the phone will not function properly without it. I can safely tell you that it is complete bull. It will be just fine.

If customer service tells you that you cannot turn it off, tell them you are getting a motorola razor from a buddy that youre going to use and you dont need the data plan.

Furthermore, dont call from the cellphone itsself. they can tell what phone youre using by the call.

The best option is to just call from a house phone and tell them you no longer need the mobile web. Its what i did.

Upvote 0
get the phone and then a week down the road, call up t-mobile's customer service number and cancel the internet.

T-mobile stores and possibly customer service will tell you that the phone will not function properly without it. I can safely tell you that it is complete bull. It will be just fine.

If customer service tells you that you cannot turn it off, tell them you are getting a motorola razor from a buddy that youre going to use and you dont need the data plan.

Furthermore, dont call from the cellphone itsself. they can tell what phone youre using by the call.

The best option is to just call from a house phone and tell them you no longer need the mobile web. Its what i did.
incorrect. android phones are so data intensive with cloud sync and all that, a data plan is required. if he did pay per byte, it would end up costing a bundle. all carriers now have this requirement with data intensive phones. without data, smartphones are basically useless.

Upvote 0
incorrect. android phones are so data intensive with cloud sync and all that, a data plan is required. if he did pay per byte, it would end up costing a bundle. all carriers now have this requirement with data intensive phones. without data, smartphones are basically useless.
Equally incorrect. I spend most of my time at home or at work, both locations where I have WiFi. I only use 2G/3G very infrequently, it wouldn't be worth my while having a data plan. My important apps all run offline, or I use them rarely enough that they don't use much data.

However, having said that, I know exactly what I'm doing and am confident about turning on and off the data as I need it. If I didn't know what I was doing, it would be very possible to run up bills going into hundreds of dollars. It's basically completely dependent on the users' requirements and capabilities

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones