• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OMG finally. . Note 4

I looked at a white one at Best Buy this afternoon. It is a beautiful device, no doubt about that. But, the glass is not an exact fit in the aluminum trim. On the one I looked at the extra space was along the right side. The left side was tight but the right had a gap. I think it would be much less noticeable on a black one and I don't see how it could affect he function at all.

This is why I didn't like the aluminum banding when I heard about it. I thought maybe there could be an issue with it. Maybe the aluminum band has nothing to do with it, but still, I'd rather have a solid one-piece outside frame. In fact, the aluminum looks like it would make things more uncomfortable to hold. Kind of moot since I always use a TPU case anyway. And a TPU case would cover up the area of the gap also most likely. Still, hope this is an early release issue and not a recurring problem with the gap.

Upvote 0
Aluminum is truly about the worst material I can think of to build an item such as a mobile phone out of. For a laptop....no worries, a laptop doesn't get handled in the same way or subjected to the same stresses as a smartphone.
Aluminum is very malleable and sensitive to temperature, it dings, dents and scratches easily but its cheap!...and thats why they use it.

If money were no object titanium would be best. Its light, strong, stable and extremely difficult to near impossible to bend, and looks awesome.

My take on all these "high end" smartphones made out of aluminum is that it is quickly turning sour on everyone.

Upvote 0
Aluminum is truly about the worst material I can think of to build an item such as a mobile phone out of. For a laptop....no worries, a laptop doesn't get handled in the same way or subjected to the same stresses as a smartphone.
Aluminum is very malleable and sensitive to temperature, it dings, dents and scratches easily but its cheap!...and thats why they use it.

If money were no object titanium would be best. Its light, strong, stable and extremely difficult to near impossible to bend, and looks awesome.

My take on all these "high end" smartphones made out of aluminum is that it is quickly turning sour on everyone.

My "polycarbonate" Nokia 1520 is solid as a rock. No creaks, no gaps and it sure as heck doesn't bend!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones