• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

one plus Nord ce 3 hangs up and poor performance

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have brought oppo Nord ce 3 and it frequently hangs up and performance is very slow.

My phone has 8 gb ram and Qualcomm Snapdragon 788g processor but still the performance is slow. It came with Android 13.

I brought oppo Nord ce 3 10 days back and after that I have installed os update through ota. The update was security update I mean it is not an update to Android 14. At present my phone is running Oxygen os Android 13.

Actually my phone has an 512 gb external memory card Samsung and it is loaded with MP3 and other files. I usually listen to music and copy from internal memory to external memory card and vice versa.

So I have installed es explorer file manager and solid explorer file manager.

Whenever I try to launch es explorer file manager and open the directory containing music files it shows message as loading and even after two minutes it still shows message as loading and finally opens.

When I switch to another app like folder player and play music and come back to es explorer the last opened folder is last and it starts from the beginning and when I try to open the same previous directory it still shows message as loading upto two minutes.

The same thing is happening with solid explorer also.

Along with one plus Nord ce 3 I have brought oppo pad air which has Qualcomm Snapdragon 680 processor and 6 gb ram and it's performance is ten times better than one plus Nord ce 3.

One plus Nord ce 3 has better hardware than oppo pad air but still the performance is ten times lower.

Regarding one plus Nord ce 3 everything is working fine except that file system is slow and I think it has ufs 2.1 and not ufs 3.1.

Suppose I open any text editor and enter some text and keep it away for five minutes and after that try to open the same text editor the previously entered text is lost.

When I open es explorer file manager and keep away for five minutes and after that try to open the same es explorer file manager the previous opened directory is last and it starts from the beginning.

When I am examining files in es explorer file manager the folder player music player stops playing I mean it is hang.

With in 20 minutes the music player stops or hangs upto three times.

I have selected option allow background activity and even selected option don't optimise for the following apps

1) es explorer file manager
2) folder player music player
3) solid explorer

There is no use and finally I have selected option high performance mode under battery section and even no use I mean es explorer starts from the beginning.

Finally what I want to say is it's not keeping background activity.

As my phone has 8 gb ram only 4 gb ram is being used and remaining 4 gb ram is free. I have noticed ram usage under running services of developer options.

Kindly try to suggest what is the reason behind app hangs and how to improve my phone performance.

Regards,
Rupesh.

A few suggestions and comments:

1) The slowness you describe is not UFS 2.1 vs UFS 3.1, it sounds much, much slower than that.

2) Since you have looked in developer options already, check the "background process limit" section in there. The best option is "standard limit", which should be the default. Unfortunately you can't control what "standard limit" is, and it will be whatever OnePlus have chosen. You could try one of the other options, but on my Galaxy s21 the highest is "at most 4 processes", which seems pretty low to me. But if that works better than "standard limit" the problem will be that OnePlus have set the limit even lower.

3) While you are there, make sure "don't keep activities" is not turned on

4) I generally advise people not to worry about RAM. 8GB is plenty for running android 13. 4GB free bothers me more, but may be related to your suspicions about background processes. Generally you don't want a lot of free RAM, but occasionally a manufacturer misconfigures things (OnePlus themselves have done this before). You presumably haven't installed any "system optimising" apps (task killers, "RAM boosters", or any of the other stupid names they give those things)? If so, try removing them.

5) Probably not related, but I would get rid of ES Explorer. There have been major privacy issues with that app, and I would not allow anything from that developer on my phone. It was actually removed from the Google Play Store for fraudulent activity (ad click fraud), which is a clear sign that the developer has no scruples and so why would you trust them with access to your files?

6) Just to make sure the problem isn't some app you have installed, try rebooting in "safe mode" (will require rebooting while pressing some buttons, which ones depends on the phone. I don't know this model, but I'm sure there are instructions on the web). If you still have problems in safe mode then the cause is in either the way OnePlus have configured the system or in one of the apps they pre-installed. If it works OK in safe mode then one of the apps you have installed is the problem, and you "just" need to work out which one.

If nothing fixes it, maybe complain to OnePlus because if the system is badly configured that is their mistake. I have never seen a Nord in real life, never mind used one, so I don't know whether your experience is normal for this phone or not (but it sounds so bad it's hard for me to believe this is normal).

Good luck!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Hi I have noticed a number of entries related to power and performance they are

Turn on high performance mode
Sleep stand by optimisation
Power saving mode on or off

Specially for apps I found the following

Under "optimise battery use" section of battery I found three entries for each app auto-optimise,don't optimise, always ask.

Under the app management I found the following entries for each app

Pause app activity if unused
Allow foreground activity
Allow background activity
Allow auto launch
Force stop

I can't understand why there are this many number of entries for battery use and app background.

Upto now I have not found such entries in any device.

Upvote 0
I have not installed any task manager or antivirus apps.
don't use task managers, they will drain your battery more and could slow your phone down as well. android now does a pretty decent job of managing resources from apps.
Hi I have entered safe mode but I can't find es explorer and folder player apps.
safe mode prevents 3rd party apps from running. it will only allow those apps that came pre-installed with the phone initially. safe mode is used to see if a 3rd party app is the root cause of your issue. run the phone in safe mode for a while and see how the phone runs. you can still make phone calls, text and email people, but only with those apps that came with the phone. if it runs better in safe mode, then it could be an app you installed that is the cause. if it continues in safe mode than it is a software issue.

Under "optimise battery use" section of battery I found three entries for each app auto-optimise,don't optimise, always ask.

Allow auto launch
Force stop

I can't understand why there are this many number of entries for battery use and app background.

entries? do you mean options? so that you can tweak your how the apps run to save battery? i am not sure i understand your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
What is the meaning of the following options

1) Allow foreground activity
2) Allow background activity
3) Allow auto launch
4) pause app activity if unused
5) Auto optimise
6) Don't optimise
7) Always ask

All of the above are present for each and every app.

Along with the above there are even more options or entries

1) Don't keep activities
2) High performance mode
3) Power saving mode
4) Optimise battery usage

The above are some only which I have noticed and even there are more hidden.

Upto now I have used a number of Android devices since 12 years and for all I found a single entry called "Allow Background Activity" and nothing else.

Among the options listed above if I turn on one option and turn off other option is there any disaster going to happen.

Kindly try to suggest which option to turn on and which option to turn off so that everything works fine ignoring battery drain.

Upvote 0
Hi I have entered safe mode but I can't find es explorer and folder player apps.
You won't be able to: safe mode disables third party apps. But if the performance of the phone and its pre-installed apps is OK in safe mode (including any pre-installed file manager or music app) then that might suggest that the problem is not the phone itself but something you have installed.

Upvote 0
Can I return back my phone to one plus so that I can get back my money through which I can buy a new phone.
That depends on the local laws in India, so I can't answer that.

"Power saving mode" is a standard feature. When that is on the phone may slow down, screen brightness may be reduced, etc. It's generally intended to help when you are running out of power, and isn't something most people would use most of the time.

"High performance mode" sounds like a OnePlus thing - I don't recall ever seeing that on a phone, and searching the settings of my phone finds nothing like that.

"Sleep standby optimisation" I've never seen, but may be related to "pause app activity if unused" (below). Only guessing though.

Allow auto launch
Force stop

Things can change with different android versions, and different manufacturers may add features of their own, hide or remove features, or just put them in a different place from other manufacturers.

"Pause app activity if unused" is a standard Android 13 feature, while "force stop" has been there since 2010 at least, probably right since the start. "Allow background activity" is also standard, though may be called something slightly different on different phones, and may be mixed in with the battery optimisation options for an app.

"Allow foreground activity" is not one I remember seeing anywhere, while "allow auto launch" I have seen but only when playing around with settings that are only accessible with root (some years ago now). So it may be that these are options OnePlus have chosen to give you (or, since I'm looking at a Samsung, ones that Samsung have chosen to hide!).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones