• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus M recovery

Hello everyone.

I followed the instructions here to temporarily root and remove the MetroPCS apps from my phone, but I got too greedy and removed some LG apps too.

Now my phone gets stuck booting on the Android screen.

The "LG Support Tool" scans my phone in the recovery process and then reports "UPDATE NOT REQUIRED"

Since their support tool thinks the phone is up to date, is there any way for me to recover the phone?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

My booklet has 2 solutions:

The first involves going into settings menu so this won't work for me.

The second solution is to press and hold home+lock+volume and release when the LG logo is shown.

When I do this, a droid pops up for a second near a box with an arrow coming out of it and a progress bar. Then the LG logo comes back and the phone boots.

Sort of. I have the menu bar at the top, but that is literally all. The screen is black, and none of the buttons on the phone do anything. No icons on the screen anywhere.

Any help from here??

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
It sticks on the Android logo still on a normal boot, even after taking the battery out.

The really odd thing is that while booted in recovery mode, I received an MMS message. So I tried calling the phone and I was able to answer the call. After that though, I couldn't return to the (empty) home screen.

Looks like there is no way for me to get to the settings menu.

Reactions: NiNi
Upvote 0
More output from the Diagnostic tab from the modem device in device manager. I feel like there is probably an AT command to reset this thing, I just need to know what it is:

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - LG-MS690
AT+FCLASS=? - 0,2.0
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - Manufacturer: LG Electronics
Model: LG-MS690
Revision: MS690ZV3 1 [Oct 23 2010 22:27:57]
ESN: 0x80DBDA3F
+GCAP: +CIS707-A, CIS-856, CIS-856-A, +MS, +ES, +DS, +FCLASS

Upvote 0
DAMN!! i wish i had seen this a few days ago, i know how to fix your phone.

But for anyone else...

1. Take out the battery!! And leave it out!!
2. Open the LG Update Tool software.
3. Click "Customer Support" >> "Recovery Phone"
4. Select the model number LGMS690, look under the battery and type in the serial number.
5. It Will open a new window, and search for the phone.
6. Replace battery and turn it on.
7. Connect the USB (with it on) and click "Retry" to search for the phone.

This should reinstall a FRESH flash for the phone and return it to OEM.

This will not work if you can not get USB connection to the phone at all.

Reactions: dizkiller
Upvote 0

But for anyone else...

4. Select the model number LGMS690, look under the battery and type in the serial number.

Just for curiosity I did all the steps and the software still saying: Cell Up to Date and do nothing. :thinking:

Upvote 0

But for anyone else...

do you have a source link for this information?
(as in... Where does one get the "LG Update Tool Software"?)

I ask because I'm trying to collect information in an effort to compile all the good stuff for the Optimus M line, so that it can be revamped on this site...

many thanks!

Upvote 0
do you have a source link for this information?
(as in... Where does one get the "LG Update Tool Software"?)

I ask because I'm trying to collect information in an effort to compile all the good stuff for the Optimus M line, so that it can be revamped on this site...

many thanks!

My SDCARD got borked this afternoon, and by an hour ago my phone was a complete brick! I just used the tool found here: LG Software Updater Application Download to get things back to where they were in late December when I bought the phone! :eek: Guess I should be grateful it's working again...

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!! :)

[Edit] Rats. The recovery tool installed 2.2.1 ...

Upvote 0
My SDCARD got borked this afternoon, and by an hour ago my phone was a complete brick! I just used the tool found here: LG Software Updater Application Download to get things back to where they were in late December when I bought the phone! :eek: Guess I should be grateful it's working again...

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!! :)

[Edit] Rats. The recovery tool installed 2.2.1 ...
If your phone shipped with 2.2, you can use the downgrade method with LGNPST. Any time you use the LG Updater, you're going to get 2.2.1 because that's what the server delivers now.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones