• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange UK 2.1 update news

Hurrah, mine downloading now!

Had to nudge the date forward a month to prompt it into action, but once I did that, it kicked off in a matter of seconds.

Despite all the excitement and discussion about this, I must admit, I don't actually know that much about the differences. Is there a run-down somewhere of what to expect from 2.1?

Upvote 0
Right - I'm back on track.

Restarted phone (don't know if that was necessary) and went to check for updates again. Asked me if I wanted to install (again) and when I said yes, instead of starting download it's started the old "picture of a box and a phone" update process".

Fingers crossed!

Good stuff, it looks like the phone "remembered" where you were.

Al

Upvote 0
I'm updated now. Need to alter a few bits and bobs. Only thing I seem to be missing are the 2 icons/widgets I had that showed my gprs and mobile access. You could tap them tp toggle the service on and off. Strangely, my Wifi one is still showing.

Any ideas folks?

Like the rest of the update though. Some clever stuff!

Upvote 0
All working well for me took about 45 mins from start to finish with a couple of reboots - all went smoothly with no data loss - still have all apps / photos / connections to social media sites etc. Now to just sort out the desktop and download those sports apps that are for 2.1. Thanks to Geoff and everyone else who has helped us less techy people through this process over the past few days / weeks. Much appreciated.

I didnt use wifi btw - probably used up my data allowance but I don't download that much stuff anyway.

Upvote 0
Yes, done!

For other's information, the full extent of what you keep and lose (based on everything I lost when doing part 1):

Keep: Apps, Mail account settings, Contacts, Text messages, Ringtone settings
Lose: Desktop layout, background & shortcuts

So, not a lot lost, all in all.

I'm off to let Navigation direct me to the nearest pub!

Upvote 0
I can't believe I've been waiting all this time, and tri corder is still buggy. It's the only reason I wanted 2.1.

Nice to finally get the 2.1 update. I'm actually loving the default wallpaper, very cool, but it won't last long. Shame about not been able to play with live wallpapers, but then again, they are just a gimmick.

I've had the quickest of quick goes of google sat nav. Does anyone know if it caches the route, or will you need to use 3g?

Thanks to everyone for all of the updates, and advice given over the past 30/40 days. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Quick review of my experience with 2.1 update so far.

The update went very smoothly, all my apps and personal data were saved including saved games and the contents of my OI Safe password safe, which I forgot to back up when I originally did the 1.66 upgrade.

First minor problem was that it refused to sync with my exchange server telling me that the security certificate was untrusted. This must have been a delay whilst the certificates were updated on the device because after a while it stopped complaining and synchronised fine.

Took about half an hour to set up Sense again in the way I like it. This was mostly spent creating and populating folders as I like to organise my apps on one of my screens in folders. Android 2.1 uses less space for each icon so you can fit more on a screen but they do look a little more cluttered. I don't know if you can set it so the icons are spaced out a bit more if you prefer it that way. I guess it is something I will just get used to.

I like the google search button that was added in 1.6 and allows you to search your phone and the internet from a single search box. I also like having the time and date shown on the unlock screen. General responsiveness of the device seems better as well. There's a few new widgets it seems but nothing worth mentioning specifically that I've noticed.

Google maps is the biggest improvement. Pinch to zoom is really nice and the overlays seem to be managed in a better way. Google navigation looks very impressive from what I've tried so far. Route finding gives a much better choice of routes to choose from than my dedicated sat nav application. Traffic information is also an appreciated addition.

Overall there's not a vast amount different from what I'm used to with 1.5 and the phone is just as functional and easy to use as ever. The improvements I've mentioned above make this update very much worth having.

Upvote 0
Lots of little improvements to screens and sensible extra options added. For instance the option to only display contacts that have phone numbers and not display automatic gmail contacts is excellent.

The only downside so far is that all my contact phone numbers seem to have disappeared! Tried a restore from the Orange Contacts Backup app, it copied 300 odd contacts back to my phone apparently but still no numbers. Pain in the hoop, hopefully I've got them synced at home. Can't remember if I have or not...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones