• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

overhead view/first person view

Yes, I prefer to navigate when the view is overhead pointing straight down, not when the view is tilted as though it is first person view
Do you have this button on the map screen you can tap repeatedly until it gets you back to overhead view?
Capture+_2019-04-24-19-57-12.png

Upvote 0
Hmm, I see what you mean. The only way that I see to get the overhead view is to choose the option in the settings named "keep map north up" which in my opinion would suck but that is all I see..
View attachment 141425
Yea, I've tried that, and it keeps north up, in first person mode. It's even worse than just first person view lol.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
OH? Did you find a way to keep the view overhead while navigating? That's what I'm trying to do, and I haven't found a way yet.
No, sorry if my post was misleading but what about this....
Keep the "north up" option enabled, then touch your screen with 2 fingers to rotate the map and try driving to see if it keeps the overhead view. I'd try it but my fatass is on the couch at the moment :D :D

Upvote 0
No, sorry if my post was misleading but what about this....
Keep the "north up" option enabled, then touch your screen with 2 fingers to rotate the map and try driving to see if it keeps the overhead view. I'd try it but my fatass is on the couch at the moment :D :D

I haven't tried that yet, cool thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried that yet, cool thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.
Cool, I'll try it too tomorrow (if I remember lol ) but let me/us know if that worked.

I did some googling and it seems on earlier versions, overhead view was the default, then google changed it to 3d view. I'm on maps version 10.14.1 fwiw.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ok, so just an update on my findings.

With Google maps, navigation mode, the only way to have the 2d overhead view was to keep the option of "keep north up" enabled. No other way around it.

However, I also use Waze which has the option for choosing 2d overhead view without the "keep north up" mode. So that is the only workaround (?)--using Waze.

Sorry I can't find a workaround in Google Maps. You may just have to use Waze, which I believe is Google related somehow :)

Cheers!

Reactions: Member2095118
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones