• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help overheating for no apparent reason!

MyUsernameRox

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2012
San Luis Obispo, CA
Today my Motion started to run a lot hotter than normal, to where I could feel the heat on my hand. All I was doing was browsing on 1x.

I checked the temp and it was 108! It wouldn't go down, so I shut off the phone, took out the battery and let it cool. 30 minutes later I replaced it.

In 10 minutes of 1x browsing it shot from 87 to 98 to 105

There's been times I browsed on 4g for dang near the whole day and this never happened.

I've tried to think what is different, and hence a possible culprit. I'd downloaded the POF app and the Blendr apps yesterday. Aside from that there's been zero difference in my usage going back 9 months with this phone.

I'd greatly appreciate advice, suggestions, etc.

I think you can get
Android task manager
From playstore,it will show you cpu use for each app
There are other as well
When you get Android Task Manager put on Tasks
Hit the bottom right of your phone( the three lines)
Then select Real time process
I think you may have to go settings and activate system apps

Also in phone settings click
Power save
Then
Battery use
That shows whats using battery most

Reactions: chicle
Upvote 0
I disabled data and let the phone rest. Turned data back on an hour later, it was 93. It's gone from there to 98 in 5 minutes, then to 100 in the time it took me to post this.

So... 1x is the culprit here?

EDIT: I've had this phone 8 months, I've had the insurance the whole time. What are my options? Can I get another motion?

EDIT v2: Got home and turned in wifi rather than 1x.Temp dropped fast to 93. I don't get it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones