1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Overseas compatability?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by encina1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. encina1

encina1 Newbie

I assume the answer is "yes," but I don't want to assume this. Since the Galaxy Nexus is found in many countries, can I take my LTE GN overseas and be able to charge it? I am traveling to Egypt, and while the phone won't work, I will want to use it as a media device. Laptops can take power from 100-240v, but can this phone? If I cannot, I can try charging it through a USB port. But can I wall charge it with just an adapter, or do I need a converter?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Well, that really depends on the adapter/converter that you use. The phone expects a constant voltage. It is up to the charger that you use - whether it can accept 100-240v or not. Check the charger (it should have the input voltage range imprinted on it)

encina1 likes this.
  3. encina1

encina1 Newbie

Well now I feel dumb. Yes, my adapter (that came with the phone) says 100-240v. I just failed to look there when I was seeking the solution.

So that means my phone should be able to handle it and it won't fry itself?

If so, all I need is the adapter and not the converter. Nice!

4. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast

Yup. I brought my old phone to Europe and charged it with no problems. More and more products are being made with dual voltage making those heavy converters unnecessary for many travelers.

encina1 likes this.
  5. encina1

encina1 Newbie

Thanks. I had my OG Droid last time in Europe, and didn't think about using it or bringing a charger for it. This time, I go prepared.

6. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

You could take it one step further and get one of the 2 in 1 chargers - I picked one up that is a car charger, but has two prongs on it that allow the charger to convert to a wall charger.

It looks like this - T-Mobile 2 in 1 Wall and Car Charger - As Low As $4.95 - bought when they had a special 2 for $5 shipped. I keep one in my car (for overnight travel), and the other in my laptop case (out of state/overseas travel). I've been using these for a couple of years now and they seem to work great.

Since the charger you have already supports 100-240v, you should be good to go (just need the adapter).

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews