• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pay for Mobile Hotspot, does not work... Wireless Tether works fine?!

jbianchini

Lurker
Apr 27, 2010
I pay for the mobile hotspot on the thunderbolt ($30 unlimited plan), however the phone drops the connection every 15-20 minutes... I am in a 3g only area, so I leave the phone in 3g only mode.

I just rooted the phone, installed the Wireless Tether app and sure enough the data connection stays on and stays connected.

Anybody have any ideas as far as why the official Verizon app keeps dropping the data connection but the Wireless Tether app keeps a rock solid connection?

I'm going to continue to pay for the $30 unlimited hotspot feature just to cover my ass, and I don't mind paying for what I use... but this is nuts. Verizon Tech Support was useless so I'm not sure where to turn.

Thanks!

I pay for the mobile hotspot on the thunderbolt ($30 unlimited plan), however the phone drops the connection every 15-20 minutes... I am in a 3g only area, so I leave the phone in 3g only mode.

I just rooted the phone, installed the Wireless Tether app and sure enough the data connection stays on and stays connected.

Anybody have any ideas as far as why the official Verizon app keeps dropping the data connection but the Wireless Tether app keeps a rock solid connection?

I'm going to continue to pay for the $30 unlimited hotspot feature just to cover my ass, and I don't mind paying for what I use... but this is nuts. Verizon Tech Support was useless so I'm not sure where to turn.

Thanks!

Mine doesn't do this at all and I am 3g only as well, the hotspot is my only source of internet and I use it exclusively at home and at work. Wish it was still free but well worth the 30 bucks too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones