• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PhilZ touch recovery VS-920

Well, here's the deal on that. It is 6.0.4.6, which means KitKat useable. It also looks like he ripped/built all the devices that CM11 supports. I see no harm in using it, but I also have no reason to use it, now that time stamping works properly. I'd be interested to hear how others feel about it. Also, I would keep a copy of the 6.0.4.5 asset fixed zip on your SDcard, just in case, as well as running a backup in CWM before hand as well.

Upvote 0
This "new" touch recovery offers nothing new and only promises possible problems. Why fix what's not broken? Recovery is just that: for backups and recoveries and to install roms. It does not need anything fancy or having the "latest" version. I personally won't mess with this version.

Upvote 0
cm updater uses cwm recovery. It should be fine. Don't need to change recovery.

CMUpdater doesn't specifically use CWM. It actually uses openrecovery script that both CWM and TWRP support. Being that this guy's recovery is based on CWM, with what looks to be a number tweaks added in... there shouldn't be any reason that it would not also work with CM Updater.

That said, I'm not currently at home for awhile still so I can't try this personally. Though, it does seem like a pretty neat idea.

My advice to anyone who does intend to use it though... Nandroid and be ready to cab flash in case you cant boot into anything. If you can boot back into the rom but not recovery after flashing it, you should be able to manually reflash your recovery from within your ROM using adb and dd.

The only features that really catch my eye though are the Ext4 sdcard support, the ability to restore using TWRP backups as well, installing multiple zips at once (one of my favorite things about TWRP). To me, the rest just seems like fluff.

Reactions: LillieBennett
Upvote 0
The only features that really catch my eye though are the Ext4 sdcard support, the ability to restore using TWRP backups as well, installing multiple zips at once (one of my favorite things about TWRP). To me, the rest just seems like fluff.
Agreed. I've been playing with it on my Note 3, switching back and forth. It's nice about the twrp mode but the ability to make an installable rom out of your own will empower non-devs (look out below!). It's like take your latest cwm, add in everything you might want in a recovery then throw in the kitchen sink :) I will probably keep it around and my eye on it just in case. TWRP, however, has spoiled me with it's ui and simplicity of use. PhilZ only when TWRP fails.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones