• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Keeps Forgetting WiFi Passwords

sparafucile

Jan 9, 2011
On my most-frequently-used WiFi networks, my Optimus M keeps forgetting my WiFi passwords, forcing me to track-down and re-enter them quite frequently. It then keep the password on-hand for a while, but soon forgets it again (days to weeks later). The networks have unique names, so aren't likely to be confused with other networks I might encounter.

Does anybody have any experience with or ideas concerning this pervasive and irritating problem??

At any given time, the ones which are "remembered" by the phone are there.
I also have an app which browse this file (needs root).

The problem is passwords which get forgotten by the device after being used for some time.
The order of forgetting is random, not coherent to the ones last used, or last entered.

Upvote 0
I can't point on a reason (call + wifi, or whatever combination).
I'm setting the wifi on and off using the top toolbar of the android system.
I'm usually working with ~5 wifi networks tops, not anything that should kill a text file.

I'll try adding them myself and will update later on if it helps in any way.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Did you ever get this sorted out?

I had a similar problem, not just the wifi password was forgotten, but also the static settings. If I put the info in and turned off WiFi, turning on WiFi again would require password and static info re-entry.

The wifi password remembering/harvesting app I have installed wasn't finding any passwords either.

Anyway, this is solved, the permissions just needed fixing, and I was good to go.

I assume that a file, maybe the wifi_supplicant.conf file (or whatever it's called) has somehow been made read only and needed a fix.

Upvote 0
I had these 2 issues:

1. keep forgetting wifi passwords - eventually I found who should I blame for that - it was an app called Wefi which automatically connected my phone to any open wifi network.
When I uninstalled it the problem was gone; strange, cause it deals with OPEN networks only (no password), but it did solve it.

2. Couldn't save any password at all (as you described) - I found out that the wifi password file got defective somehow, and it was always 0 Byes no matter what.
In order to solve that I used my root privilege to delete this file, and its automatic recreation solve this issue also; happened to me few time.

Now I'm on a Android 4.X so none of these ever happened.

Upvote 0
SOLUTION for NOTE 3 with MF4 ROM:

I have seen that others are having the same issue that I am having where my phone forgets WiFi settings after every reboot since MJ4 update. What is the fix for this?

Thanks

WiFi problems?
Try this:
Due to "securestorage" being set to true in build.prop, changes to the ROM or kernel that aren't reflected in the ss_id file in /system/etc/secure_storage/.system.bin.wpa_supplicant/ can cause issues with WiFi among other things. You can set this to false yourself, or simply flash the zip file below.
Download: Set Secure Storage to False

For those that prefer to do it manually, simply change this line ro.securestorage.support=true to false in /system/build.prop.

YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good:

Why was [ ro.securestorage.support=true] set to true? --Is this by ROM's default?

What functionality do we lose once it's set to "false"?

Reactions: awesomebing1
Upvote 0
I am also having this problem. My Note 3 looses all the passwords to my wifi networks about every two to 3 days. I happen to know most of them by heart now so I'm able to re-enter them easily enough but it's just such a PITB. Also, my Note 3 doesn't always auto scan for networks when I go into a new location or a location I've been to before. It does it every once in awhile - but most of the time, I have to go into the settings and force the scan. Not sure what's causing this but for $800, I'm just not impressed.

Upvote 0
SOLUTION for NOTE 3 with MF4 ROM:

YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good:

Why was [ ro.securestorage.support=true] set to true? --Is this by ROM's default?

What functionality do we lose once it's set to "false"?

Definitive answer. This worked instantly on a rooted stock Lollipop Note3. It hadn't been able to hold a password for more than 5 minutes since the Lollipop update. No problems now. I would like to know if there are consequences to changing that build prop file though...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones