• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone stopped charging when it was very hot

I was watching a movie in the cardboard and my phone's battery got down too low. So I connected to the charger and continued watching the movie in cardboard. Then I noticed that my phone wasn't charging and was very very hot. Then I closed everything and unplugged the charger and left the phone idle for 10 min till it came to normal temperature. And then again I plugged in the charger and the phone was charging normally..... Is it normal to stop charging when hot? I think it's normal but just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

It does sound like it wasn't too out of the ordinary, your phone was being put in a situation where it was being taxed to it's limit. Most Google Cardboard content (or any virtual reality content for that matter) will require a lot of your phone's system resources -- both the CPU and GPU chips are working really hard, and if you're using a more dated phone than it's even more an issue. Also, smartphones don't have any cooling fans like desktop computers or laptops so heat that builds up takes longer to dissipate. Plus when you're charging your phone the battery heats up a little too so when you add that all up including your phone being tucked inside a Google Cardboard with the cardboard itself more or less insulating your phone, it just got a little too hot.
I've got a Cardboard too, it's pretty easy to get caught up in binge viewing a lot of stuff isn't it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones