1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone stopped charging when it was very hot

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Harsha vardhan1995, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Harsha vardhan1995

None

Mar 12, 2016
    Male
    I was watching a movie in the cardboard and my phone's battery got down too low. So I connected to the charger and continued watching the movie in cardboard. Then I noticed that my phone wasn't charging and was very very hot. Then I closed everything and unplugged the charger and left the phone idle for 10 min till it came to normal temperature. And then again I plugged in the charger and the phone was charging normally..... Is it normal to stop charging when hot? I think it's normal but just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    It does sound like it wasn't too out of the ordinary, your phone was being put in a situation where it was being taxed to it's limit. Most Google Cardboard content (or any virtual reality content for that matter) will require a lot of your phone's system resources -- both the CPU and GPU chips are working really hard, and if you're using a more dated phone than it's even more an issue. Also, smartphones don't have any cooling fans like desktop computers or laptops so heat that builds up takes longer to dissipate. Plus when you're charging your phone the battery heats up a little too so when you add that all up including your phone being tucked inside a Google Cardboard with the cardboard itself more or less insulating your phone, it just got a little too hot.
    I've got a Cardboard too, it's pretty easy to get caught up in binge viewing a lot of stuff isn't it?

scary alien and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Overheating is bad for batteries, and heavy use and charging both generate heat. So the phone almost certainly disabled charging to protect the battery when it got hot. This is a good thing.

KOLIO, AZgl1500, The_Chief and 2 others like this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    ^^^^ what Hadron said.

If you are going to watch a movie, start out with the battery fully charged, and keep it on the charger.

that is how my daughter does it, and she never has a problem.