• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Tracking

I use Lookout and it seems to work quite well. Its a 3in1 kind of app:

1 - Virus checker
2 - Data backup
3 - Missing Device. Register at their website also, and you can see a map of where your phone is. It will turn on the GPS, and you can make it sound an alarm if you feel the need (back of the sofa situation).

All that is free, but if you go for premium you get remote lock/wipe also. Not tried that myself.

Upvote 0

1 - Virus checker
2 - Data backup
3 - Missing Device. Register at their website also, and you can see a map of where your phone is. It will turn on the GPS, and you can make it sound an alarm if you feel the need (back of the sofa situation).

All that is free, but if you go for premium you get remote lock/wipe also. Not tried that myself.

+1 for this. You can try the premium for 30 days for free too :cool:

Upvote 0

1 - Virus checker
2 - Data backup

I tried lookout and removed it a few days later....it was hogging quite alot of the system up running and it annoyed me everytime I installed something with its CONSTANT virus check even though I ticked it off...

and the virus check is a waste of time anyway....as Android is extremely secure...I remember reading something bout it being similar to Google OS and that they are sandbox OS systems and are virtually uncrackable and impossible to mess up with virus's...

I could be off a lil...but meh...I still deleted anyway cos it was a system hog..

Upvote 0
I use "theftaware" which uses SMS messaging to communicate both ways. To locate the phone you send a SMS and it returns an SMS with the map coordinates. GPS on the target phone is only turned on for a few minutes until sufficient signal is acquired for a proper fix. After that the app automatically turns of the target's GPS. Many other useful functions too. Simple to install and use. :D

Upvote 0
I use Wavesecure, stops people swapping the SIM, does overnight backups, can track the phone, remote erase, sends SMS's to a list of buddies if it gets activated, sticks a message on screen and SCREAMS if activated remotely. Probably other bits and pieces as well. You do have to pay a subscription, but can try it for free.

Upvote 0

1 - Virus checker
2 - Data backup

cant go wrong with lookout

Upvote 0
I've got lookout and prey installed. Prey's good and open source. I think I prefer it, but it'd be nice to have an app that can't be uninstalled by the user. I've got a cyanogenmod lock screen pattern, so its not like they could even get into my phone in the first place.

Anyone know of not a tracking software, but a sim replacement watcher. I swear I used to have an app that would activate if the sim card was swapped out. Then it would text a predefined mobile number of your choice from the new sim card.

Upvote 0
I've got lookout and prey installed. Prey's good and open source. I think I prefer it, but it'd be nice to have an app that can't be uninstalled by the user. I've got a cyanogenmod lock screen pattern, so its not like they could even get into my phone in the first place.

Anyone know of not a tracking software, but a sim replacement watcher. I swear I used to have an app that would activate if the sim card was swapped out. Then it would text a predefined mobile number of your choice from the new sim card.

'WHERES MY DROID' I think it is. or 'sim checker lite'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones