• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Physical Keyboard Attachment?

Interesting news on the Pre. I'm hopeful this is just a driver issue on the EVO as well as the Snapdragon chip set supports OTG. I've seen HTC not put any power supplies on, before, so that's my big fear (and, yes, supplying more than 100 mA would be nice, but who knows). Qualcomm has an Android project for their chipsets that should have drivers and header files... I haven't looked at it in a while. Once I get root... two more days!

That would be nice.. the good part about the pre was that I could just SSH into it.. installed ipkg and downloaded the complete arm development package and then Palm released the kernel source and headers on their website, which allowed me to compile directly on the phone, no need for a cross compile tool chain :)

Upvote 0
It's 54.95 but doesn't mention Android phones.
Freedom Slim Bluetooth Keypad

I looked at their site and see that the Freedom-Pro keyboard (Freedom Pro Keyboard) has beta Android drivers. Anyone try one of these? I also loved using the Stow-away keyboard with my various Palm devices over the years. I'd think the Evo with its kickstand and one of these would be amazing!

Upvote 0
kind of off the topic but instead of carrying all ur movies with you set up a file server that you can access with your EVO

you visit friends house - you ask them to pick a movie out

you download onto EVO (so far its looking like a 720p movie will be under 2 gigs via handbrake)

you playback on TV via HDMI hook up

thats my plan, still setting server up but shouldnt be too hard to access and download from.. finish movie just delete

this makes it so you dont really need to get 32 gig card - 8 should suffice but prolly upgrade to a 16 so you can have 2-3 movies + music

now to find some friends....

Upvote 0
kind of off the topic but instead of carrying all ur movies with you set up a file server that you can access with your EVO

you visit friends house - you ask them to pick a movie out

you download onto EVO (so far its looking like a 720p movie will be under 2 gigs via handbrake)

you playback on TV via HDMI hook up

thats my plan, still setting server up but shouldnt be too hard to access and download from.. finish movie just delete

this makes it so you dont really need to get 32 gig card - 8 should suffice but prolly upgrade to a 16 so you can have 2-3 movies + music

now to find some friends....
Haha i actually laughed at that last part. But would you explain to me how one would go about setting up a server? Thanks in advance.:D

Upvote 0
I have been waiting for Android to open up the HID Bluetooth profile since it was first released. It sets my teeth on edge that the iPhone beat Android to the punch. Oh well.

Right now, the Droid does have USB hosting and an enterprising hacker has managed to find a way to connect a USB keyboard to his Droid WITHOUT rooting his phone!

I have not yet heard if this method has been tried on the EVO yet. I'm hoping with the Evo's ability to turn off HTC's Sense that it might be a possibility.

As to bluetooth keyboards, it sounds like the Keypro Drivers are able to recognize the Evo G. The keys don't match what you type (yet), but that's something that should be correctable by the developer. The important step was having the phone recognize the keyboard. Supposedly, the Freedom Pro Keyboard is the keyboard that works best with Android phones.
http://www.mymobilegear.com/download/Files/KeyPro_Android_User_Manual.pdf

Anyway, I've subscribed to this thread, so hopefully we'll find someone that can post a solution soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones