• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pink?

• Yes

Votes: 73 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 128 63.7%

• Total voters
Just an FYI, the one local Verizon store I went into does not consider this an issue as both of their display phones do it and there is no Verizon memo about it, or anything from HTC about it.

To be honest, I do not consider this a deal breaker. IMO the extra RAM makes a significant speed difference over the Droid for heavy multi-tasking and pre-caching of apps.

Upvote 0
Any other thoughts on this guys? It only appears on some sites and doesn't really bother me, but I'm OCD about my devices. I'm thinking of attempting an exchange for the heck of it as some folks are claiming they have no hue at all (which I find very surprising).

Thoughts?

Verizon is only going to do something if they actually have customers bringing the issue to them, ad nasuem. If the majority are going to say, "I can live with it." Then I do not believe anything will come of this.

The Verizon store I was at had two managers on duty, and both said I was the first one to even bring the issue up. The tech took the phone to the managers for a judgment call.

Upvote 0
Verizon is only going to do something if they actually have customers bringing the issue to them, ad nasuem. If the majority are going to say, "I can live with it." Then I do not believe anything will come of this.

The Verizon store I was at had two managers on duty, and both said I was the first one to even bring the issue up. The tech took the phone to the managers for a judgment call.

The cause of this issue needs to be determined - is it a defect (in which case it should be replaced) or not? Should we contact HTC? I could get a replacement sent over the phone one way or the other.

What are your thoughts Haelous on this - big deal or no?

Upvote 0
The cause of this issue needs to be determined - is it a defect (in which case it should be replaced) or not? Should we contact HTC?

What are your thoughts Haelous on this - big deal or no?

This is not world ending to me, but I feel I did the right thing at least bringing it up to the tech at the Verizon store. There's no way I can go back to a phone without Android, and Verizon is the best here and to the desert states (Arizona, Nevada, etc) where I typically travel to once or twice a year.

Even with the pink hue, I will be keeping this phone over a Motorola Droid.

If EVERYTHING that was white on my phone was as pink as the blue-gray on androidforums.com, I would be going back. It's not; only gray is a problem.

Upvote 0
Went in to a Vzw corp store today, and they had about 5 test phones out,
and all of them had the pink hue/tint. The 4 guys in tech said this is normal
for AMOLD screens, and said anyone that said they didn't see it on theirs, are
in his own words "crazy". He said they will replace it if you want, but he said the
replacement will be the same, and they would only do it once. So there it is folks,
VZW says it's normal, so what else can you say?....

(BTW) People who are not seeing this, may want to check to see if your brightness is on Auto...

Upvote 0
Well after speaking with some people at HTC USA, I am going to exchange my
phone. They told me the screen should not have any sort of pink hue/tint and
that this is not how AMOLD screens are. I paid money for a perfect device and
that is what I expect. I will let you all know how the replacement is.

We're getting conflicting info from Verizon and Htc. Verizon needs to address this asap with a PR. We should e-mail them...

Upvote 0
Went in to a Vzw corp store today, and they had about 5 test phones out,
and all of them had the pink hue/tint.
The 4 guys in tech said this is normal
for AMOLD screens, and said anyone that said they didn't see it on theirs, are
in his own words "crazy". He said they will replace it if you want, but he said the
replacement will be the same, and they would only do it once. So there it is folks,
VZW says it's normal, so what else can you say?....

(BTW) People who are not seeing this, may want to check to see if your brightness is on Auto...

This would suggest its a wide spread problem/defect (if it is in fact a defect and not due to the technology) and needs to be addressed. The problem is though I think most owners won't notice it until pointed out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update, glad to see you can go to HTC directly for this.

Upvote 0
I went to the Verizon store today too. The demo unit was just like mine. The pink hue is only on shades of gray and not hugely noticeable. I think the people who don't see it on their phones are looking for a pink haze over the whole screen. I would tend to agree that all Incs have the pink greys until someone posts a shot of the HTC site or similar without any pink hue.

Upvote 0

you get a replacement? I got a replacement for camera issue and this phone is horrible compared to the last one i had. my original phone would have a pink hue at times on white areas, but this one seems to dim\brighten as i am watching it. it is most noticable when i am texting; very white screen. open new text, purdy white. start typing, pink, white, pink.... it has a fuzzy tint to it while dimming and brightening. beyond frustrating. everything i show people on this phone rocks, then they start seeing these pink hue and dimming issue and all the good is forgotten...

Upvote 0
you get a replacement? I got a replacement for camera issue and this phone is horrible compared to the last one i had. my original phone would have a pink hue at times on white areas, but this one seems to dim\brighten as i am watching it. it is most noticable when i am texting; very white screen. open new text, purdy white. start typing, pink, white, pink.... it has a fuzzy tint to it while dimming and brightening. beyond frustrating. everything i show people on this phone rocks, then they start seeing these pink hue and dimming issue and all the good is forgotten...

You sure this isn't just the auto-brightness adjust you're talking about? It's the default setting.

Upvote 0
They need to post this as an issue to Verizon then, because they won't replace specifically for this issue. Unless you embellish, that is.

HTC said when you take in your device with this issue, if Verizon wont
replace it, to have them give HTC tech's a call. The tech told me, they
would let the tech at the Verizon store know it's an issue, and it needs
to be replaced.

Upvote 0
I called and spoke to a few of the techs at HTC, and they said this is a
screen issue. They said all of their devices had white screens, no pink tint.

No pink hue at all? Again I thing they might have misunderstood or not been looking closely enough. On my phone its relatively subtle, but its still there. But only in shades of gray. Whites are very white.

Reactions: Mrdroid921
Upvote 0
Have any guys, who are having this problem, checked with a female to confirm that they see the "pink" hue as well? (Ishihara Test for Color Blindness)

Red-green color blindness/deficiency is pretty common among males. The condition has a wide range of severity, but it can convince your mind that muted grays, such as those that appear at low brightness, are light-red/pink when they are actually gray and convince you that muted greens are actually gray. Depending on the saturations and contrasts on the phone, this issue could be an illusion that results from a genetic predisposition.

It is VERY rare for females to have red-green color blindness because the affected genes are mostly on the X chromosome. So, I'd check to make sure a chick sees the pink hue before returning the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones