• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play going haywire

I don't know what's wrong with this phone. It was pretty much OK but now it starts saving camera internally instead of to SD, sometimes No Root Firewall isn't working but I didn't shut it off, and do not disturb has stopped protecting from google. How do I make it work right? Why doesn't No Root Firewall come on automatically when I reboot, which is what I told it to do?

I don't know what's wrong with this phone. It was pretty much OK but now it starts saving camera internally instead of to SD, sometimes No Root Firewall isn't working but I didn't shut it off, and do not disturb has stopped protecting from google. How do I make it work right? Why doesn't No Root Firewall come on automatically when I reboot, which is what I told it to do?
what phone do you have? try un-install the apps and re-install them. and check to see where the camera app saves the pictures. it might have changed some how.

Upvote 0
I didn't get any more apps, but I'm wondering if an older one could be causing a problem. I've been using Simple File Manager because I don't want google files, but Simple is crashy. I guess I already said that. It crashes mostly when I try to move or delete a file. Copying seems OK. This is why if I want to move a file to SD I copy it first and then delete, which I think I got from you, and thanks to whoever. It's clunky but it does the job. Sometimes though it just crashes without moving or deleting. I guess it is beta. I started noticing that when it crashes, it even messes with screenshots, and maybe downloads too. Could it have anything to do with those messages I don't want? It couldn't mess with No Root Firewall, could it?

Upvote 0
I did reboot but I guess it didn't do much good. I still have to put on No Root Firewall, which should have been on by itself. I'm still getting those annoying messages from google and I don't know why. Do not disturb used to stop them. Now even airplane mode doesn't.
what annoying messages?

Reactions: Dave012345678910
Upvote 0
I mean google bugging me to use play services. I'm not going to do that. For a while I was safe from it with do not disturb on, but now that stopped working. How can I fix it?
root your phone and use lineage os. its an aosp custom rom with no google apps. they do make it available because there are somethings that will be missing.

not sure which moto play you have, but here is the list of compatible devices:

Upvote 0
Magisk is a root solution, just a different one.

How difficult rooting is depends on the phone. Some are straightforward (if they have an unlockable bootloader and a good level of developer support), some are impossible, some may require specific methods (the actual software, such as custom recoveries or roms, must always be built for the specific model of phone).

I don't use Simple File Manager, but have found other apps from the same developer to be stable (assuming it is the same developer, since you can have more than one app with the same name). For No Root Firewall have you excluded it from battery optimisation, just to be sure that the phone doesn't shut it down? I've no experience of that app either, so can't say whether your experience there is normal.

Upvote 0
I'm still getting google garbage. How do I make it stop? Also, sometimes the camera still saves to phone instead of SD. I can change it back but it's a hassle. It hadn't been doing the analog audio thing for a while and now that's back. A while ago there was something that I really wanted to do but I couldn't. I thought maybe No Root Firewall could be causing the problem or maybe browser privacy, and I let the guard down, oops. I'll probably never do that again. All of a sudden I had about a dozen apps I didn't want. Some of them were games and there was temu, which is shopping, and Pandora (music), and chime (I guess it's bank stuff). The good news is it was pretty easy to delete them and they didn't grab any data, but nobody should have to put up with that. It's almost a virus.

Upvote 0
Here's a new one, at least for me. I was using DuckDuckGo and it said that I should turn the screen the other way. I checked if auto rotate was on and it wasn't. Then it started doing that with everything. I rebooted and now it's OK. A while back it said there was something wrong with SD and asked if I wanted to format it. No, I didn't. Rebooting fixed that too. Once again though I got stuck with a lot of apps I don't want, games, Temu, Chime. Of course I deleted them before they could steal data, I hope, but how did that even happen? There were hundreds and hundreds of mb. At least I haven't been bothered by google for a while. There's one other thing. I was trying to copy from internal to SD, a lot of files, and it isn't really doing that. I guess it copies some and stops, but it used to get them all. Is Simple File Manager really that bad?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones