• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Music Activating at Random

I have a Verizon version Moto X and out of no where Play Music will activate and play the last song I listened to. I can be in a meeting with the phone on vibrate and all of a sudden the music will start. For the past few days it's been occurring about six times a day. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!

I use the moto assist for driving and I figured that's part of the issue. The problem is that the phone can be stationary for over an hour on my desk and then all of a sudden the music starts playing. The driving assist becomes activated even though the phone has not moved a millimeter. Very strange. I turned off the driving assist and this seems to have corrected the issue. But what good are theses features if they cannot be utilized. I called and explained to Verizon. They were clueless but will send me a brand new phone. I don't know if its a software or hardware issue but I can't imagine why it will just kick on. I had the phone for two weeks and haven't changed any settings since day one. Now for a few days its gone sort of haywire. Also, even when I have media volume turned all the way down, sound will suddenly appear at full volume. For example on websites like ESPN with embedded video on pages I can be viewing for a while (sitting stationary and not travelling) and the drive assist kicks on with volume at full level. I do not have NFC enabled nor do I use any NFC chips. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0
I use the moto assist for driving and I figured that's part of the issue. The problem is that the phone can be stationary for over an hour on my desk and then all of a sudden the music starts playing. The driving assist becomes activated even though the phone has not moved a millimeter. Very strange. I turned off the driving assist and this seems to have corrected the issue. But what good are theses features if they cannot be utilized. I called and explained to Verizon. They were clueless but will send me a brand new phone. I don't know if its a software or hardware issue but I can't imagine why it will just kick on. I had the phone for two weeks and haven't changed any settings since day one. Now for a few days its gone sort of haywire. Also, even when I have media volume turned all the way down, sound will suddenly appear at full volume. For example on websites like ESPN with embedded video on pages I can be viewing for a while (sitting stationary and not travelling) and the drive assist kicks on with volume at full level. I do not have NFC enabled nor do I use any NFC chips. Thanks for your reply.

Motorola has acknowledged that there are issues with the assist feature (particularly the driving assist feature) and say that they are working on an update.

I've not had problems with it but you're smart to leave it off when you don't need it. It's easy enough to activate when you are ready to drive somewhere.

I'd hang tight and hope that the update comes soon.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the info. I was in need of a new phone so I bought off-contract to preserve my unlimited data. So once it started acting up I made the call to be safe. Since the offered a brand new phone I figured it couldn't hurt. There's no refurbished models available with it being so new otherwise I would have stuck with it. I think it's a great phone and want to stick with it. The Verizon tech I spoke to offered a Droid Maxx but I like the Moto X better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones