• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

please help Chinese mtk6580

Kaz17

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
bought a phone off wish (I know stupid move ) it said it was a note 8 with 4gb RAM 64gb ROM android 7.0 in fact looking at the stats on phone it says its a note 8 RAM 1gb ROM 8gb even though it has a dual micro card slot when you put a memory card in you cant transfer anything to it so obviously I want to root it to actually get a working ph (yes I have got a refund) specs on ph are model number note 8 version 7.0 (even though every diagnostic app says it is 5.1) baseband version MOLY.WR8.W1449.MD.WG.MP.V23.P8.2016/12/10 09.38 kernel version 3.10.72 android@mht-35#1 wed Dec 6 11:45:03 CST 2017 build number LMY471 test-keys custom build version ALPS.L1.MP6.V2.19_HCT6580.WEG.A.L_P55 I have tried more or less EVERY rooting app I really want to try Magisk with TWRP recovery but my ph isn’t in the TWRP list ? I have enabled developer mode and have OEM unlocking on as well as USB debugging but no matter what sequence of buttons I press eg volume down+bixby+power etc ect I cant get into download mode. any suggestions? thanks in advance Kaz

If all of your diagnostics apps say that it's running Android 5.1 why do you believe it is Android 7.0? Remember that this is a clone phone, so what the phone says about itself is absolutely unreliable: it will have been programmed to pretend to be something it isn't. If every system information app you install says it's running 5.1 it's actually quite likely it is really running 5.1.

So what do you hope to be able to do if you can root it? When you say you can't transfer anything to SD do you mean apps, or any files at all? Even 5.1 should allow the latter. For the former I guess there's a chance that something like Link2SD will work (we used to do that type of thing before Android supported moving apps to SD, after all), if you can root it.

Unfortunately I can't help with rooting this device. Rooting methods are device-specific, and this is a generic knock-off clone which I've no experience with. There are forums where people discuss firmware flashing for such devices - the thread I linked there is from someone with what sounds like a very similar device internally but pretending to be an S8 rather than a Note 8. Note that the person in that thread got themselves into trouble trying to flash the firmware, so you need to be very careful that anything you find is for your device; my guess is that this person had a different clone using the same SoC and baseband and there was an incompatibility with the video driver.

Upvote 0
A 1GB of RAM/8GB storage phone that's supposed to be a Galaxy Note 8? (when released it was Samsung's flagship model.)
There's nothing about that phone that's legitimate. If you can't return it and get your money back, keep it as a experimental toy. Using that particular phone as a daily usage phone is very likely going to cause you a lot of incidental problems and mystery glitches. Before you start setting it up and loading all your info and files on it, I'd recommend getting a 'real' phone that you can actually rely upon.

Reactions: psionandy and KBU2
Upvote 0
[QUOTE="Hadron, .....was an incompatibility with the video driver.[/QUOTE]
Hi!
Firstly sorry for cutting out almost all the text I need only mention the same problem I have.
I bought Huawei P20 pro from the internet ads and unable to get system update because it has no such tag in settings :(
Using apps as HiSuite didn't help so I need to find suitable firmware the other way. I may provide information about the phone:

Android 8.1 / Lollipop MR1 / API 22
Baseband Version: MOLY.WR8.W1449.MD.WG.MP.V6.P11, 2017/05/03 11:51
Build Number: l100_lyx_h100_welcome_480x960_en_v09
Linux Kernel Version: 3.10.72
Http User Agent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 8.1; P20 Pro Build/LMY47I)
But the main question is what original model of phone I bought and is it just cloned?
Could you help with?
May I flash firmware without unrooting the phone?
Waiting for the answer :)

Upvote 0
I'm not actually an expert on these devices, but I'm afraid that I'm pretty sure that's a clone. A web search on the baseband version indicates that that baseband corresponds to firmware for a MediaTek MT6589 SoC, not the Kirin 970 that the P20 Pro should have. These clone devices are usually programmed to lie about their identity, android version, etc, but the basband firmware is usually reported correctly which is why that's the first thing I check.

That explains why HiSuite won't work with it, because it isn't a Huawei device. I hope you got it for a good price, because the MT6589 is an older much less powerful SoC than the Kirin 970, and probably other components are similarly cheaper and lower-end than they should be. The whole business model of clone manufacturers is to produce the cheapest possible device they can pass off as something newer: in the best case they sell to someone who wants people to think they have a fancy new phone and know they are buying a fake, worst case they try to con people by selling it as the real thing.

What's worse is that it's probably actually running Android 5. Note that it says "Android 8.1 / Lollipop MR1": Lollipop is Android 5 (many clone manufacturers do a better job of hiding it than this). Also the MT6589 is a 2013 processor, and I doubt that MediaTek ever produced drivers for it for anything later than Android 5 (most 6589 devices run 4.4, and at that time MTK-based devices were infamous for never getting software updates). As I say I'm not an expert on these devices, so you might get lucky, but I really don't think you've any chance of actually running Android 8 on this phone.

Unfortunately I have no good news on firmware. It won't be easy to identify what device it really is, and if you don't know that you've no chance. Even if you can identify it it's likely that there is no newer firmware. Sometimes these clones are based on the same platform, and sometimes you can find firmware for that platform, but I'd want to be very, very sure that it's exactly right, because for example if you flashed firmware for a similar device with different video hardware your display would stop working.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but everything you've shown points to that being what you've got.

Reactions: ocnbrze and tommo47
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones