• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pocket Dials and Unlocking

Eldogg

Apr 1, 2012
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 to replace my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. I have had many phones and blackberries. But I have never had so many issues with the phone unlocking, switching from vibrate to sound, and pocket dialing people with any other phone ... this one seems much much worse.

Has anyone had such issues and if so, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

One thing that will help with unlocking/pocket dialing is to go to Menu>System Settings>Lock Screen. Check the box for "Lock instantly with power button, and choose "Immediately" under Lock Automatically.

Not sure if there is an stock option to disable the volume buttons when locked, but I use Widget Locker and it allows me to disable volume buttons unless I'm listening to music when locked.

Reactions: Eldogg
Upvote 0
My volume buttons don't get activated while locked with the stock swipe locking option. What I do is, I would always lock my phone with the button on the right before I place it down or in my bag or pocket. It still somehow pocket dials off and on but it's rare. I didn't change anything in the lock screen menu, I'm just using the default settings. Eh.. Mine doesn't even give me "lock instantly with power button" option, now that I check... :/

Reactions: Eldogg
Upvote 0
My volume buttons don't get activated while locked with the stock swipe locking option. What I do is, I would always lock my phone with the button on the right before I place it down or in my bag or pocket. It still somehow pocket dials off and on but it's rare. I didn't change anything in the lock screen menu, I'm just using the default settings. Eh.. Mine doesn't even give me "lock instantly with power button" option, now that I check... :/
I do the same thing. Yet it keeps on unlocking somehow and pocket-dialing. I have never had a phone so sensitive like this.

Upvote 0
I will look into pattern lock. But I have to tell you ... this morning, I had an unintentional dial appear right before my eyes while I was holding the phone and unlocking it ON PURPOSE to be able to use it. There is no doubt in my mind that there is something wrong with the phone.

Upvote 0
I will look into pattern lock. But I have to tell you ... this morning, I had an unintentional dial appear right before my eyes while I was holding the phone and unlocking it ON PURPOSE to be able to use it. There is no doubt in my mind that there is something wrong with the phone.

wait so...
the phone was dialing right before you as you unlocked it?
think I misunderstood that.. but if that's the case, that is some phantom phone lol.... unless it has something to do with motions.. which I don't use cause it drains battery like mad :/

Upvote 0
wait so...
the phone was dialing right before you as you unlocked it?
think I misunderstood that.. but if that's the case, that is some phantom phone lol.... unless it has something to do with motions.. which I don't use cause it drains battery like mad :/
No, it started right after I unlocked it. I'll look into motions but don't think I have them enabled. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones