• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcasts, RSS Feeds, and Android

stinky

Android Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2009
SoCal
So I am looking into Podcasts and RSS Feeds. I have used iTunes in the past to subscribe and watch podcasts, but havent been using iTunes much lately. RSS Feeds I am absolutely new to, and havent yet tried it out.

From what I have read RSS Readers (like Google Reader) can subscribe to podcasts, but what about my phone? Would I need a separate RSS reader app, and would it sync with the subscriptions as my PC reader? Are there phone readers that support Video Podcasts?

The other option I saw was to use iTunes and tweak it to allow Podcasts to sync with your Android Device, but Im not sure if this method works with Videos. Im wondering which path is better and easier to manage? It seems easier to find and subscribe to videos using iTunes, but if there is another way, Im all for ditching iTunes completely.

I am setting up Googe Reader for RSS feeds either way, I guess thats a separate issue, what I am mainly concerned with is syncing RSS feeds with my phone, and watching Video Podcasts on my Phone.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

There is a few different options out there for each item (podcasts and RSS feeds) however what I found worked best for me is BeyondPod. It's not free but there is a trial, and I believe it's well worth the $6 or whatever they charge for it.

BeyondPod will sync both Podcasts and RSS feeds, you can browse a list of popular feeds and subscribe, import from Google Reader, hand enter / copy paste the feed address, or import a OPML file with your feed list.

The killer feature of BeyondPod for me is that I no longer have to find time to sit down and sync the feeds from my computer. BeyondPod will download them right on to the phone. I have it scheduled to check for updates nightly at 2:30 AM, in the morning I have fresh media for me.

I on the con side I would say that it's probably not the best thought out program UI wise and would be a little confusing to people who have no clue about RSS feeds and Podcasts.

Edit:/
Here is the link
http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/index.htm
I don't use it for video but the site says it works.

Upvote 0
OK so along my journey I realized that I may leave the RSS and my videos separate, if I need to to accomplish what I am really after.

Is there a way to get TV shows from say ABC, CBS, etc to play on my phone? Lots of networks like these offer free Episodes on their website, is there an app (not tv.com) or a way to do this?

Upvote 0
OK so along my journey I realized that I may leave the RSS and my videos separate, if I need to to accomplish what I am really after.

Is there a way to get TV shows from say ABC, CBS, etc to play on my phone? Lots of networks like these offer free Episodes on their website, is there an app (not tv.com) or a way to do this?

You probably will not be able to stream these shows directly onto your phone from their websites. It's probably not supposed to be discussed on this website so I'll spare you the details; but essentially you'll need to find a means to download the shows, convert them, and then place them on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones