• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Port]N Ninja Flash Game

There's this classic game called N Ninja or (N+) that's currently a flash game on PC. I'm wondering if someone can convert it to an android app, or make an app that basically is like the same thing. Personally it's one of my favorite games, and I'd pay $0.99 in a flash to get this app. Also just a note, if it's MOGA compatible, I know a few friends who would be interested in downloading / buying it as well. If you want, I'd be willing to contact the creator of the app to get source code, if possible.

Thanks,
Gage Henry

UPDATE

After contacting the developer, this was his response.
Hi, I'm a new mobile app developer and I'd love to recreate this game for android phones. This game was my childhood, and I'd like to bring back the memories and play it on android phones. I'd add MOGA controller capabilities, for those who don't like covering the screen as well. All I'd need is the source code (which will not be shared). I can re-create it in Java, since it was made in Flash, if I remember right.

I hope to talk with you soon.

Thanks,
Gage

hi Gage,

Thanks for writing! We're so happy to hear you liked N. You might like N++ too, coming soon for PS4 ;)

We unfortunately cannot allow you to do make N for android (or any other platform). While it may seem like a good idea, we've been thinking about it and running tests for years -- N is a very fast-paced, precision platformer and a mobile device is simply not the right fit for the game.

The delays in feedback, and lack of haptic feedback altogether, would kill the feel of the controls, and would make trying to pull off the fluid moves of the ninja an exercise in frustration. And not the good kind! I know you've said you would add controller capabilities, but for the 90% of users who don't use a controller to play games on their phone/tablet, this would make playing the game a terrible experience.

What we would suggest to you is to make up your own idea, one devised with the touchscreen in mind, and custom-made for the platform. In my opinion, games that were built to perfectly use the various features of the platform they're built for are often the games that people really seem to enjoy playing as well. This is a chance to create your own characters, and world, and make a game that really feels cohesive and connected. That gives it the best chance to also connect with people.

Anyway thanks for writing, sorry we can't allow a port of N for mobile, and good luck! Hope you make something awesome!
thanks,
Mare

Just one final concept. What if the app only worked with MOGA controls? I know how to get the app on the MOGA store specifically.

Just a thought.

Also, I'm guessing the reason you guys don't want N on the Play Store is because it requires a stronger system, is that part of the reason?

Thanks again,
Gage

hey Gage,

we're still not interested.
N definitely requires a lot of horsepower, so to speak (we even looked into OUYA -- it's not powerful enough for N. N++ is maxing some of the PS4's capability, if you can believe it!) -- but even if it were possible, we have given it a LOT of thought, and we firmly don't think N would be a good fit on phones/tablets. We think the best games utilize the features of the systems they were built for, and having to hook up a controller to your phone to play a game, when you could easily play it on a system with a controller (or keyboard) already is not super attractive to us. Best to custom-make a game from the ground up if you're aiming at phones/tablets!

thanks,
Mare

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones