• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root port this over please?

i found this thread over at xda and thought it would be cool to have on our phones. can some one braver than me do some testing and or moddifying with this to make it work on our phones? it allows you to use your phone as a stand alone gps

[HOW TO] Enable stand-alone/antonymous GPS on Epic 4G - xda-developers

[HOW TO] Enable stand-alone/antonymous GPS on Epic 4G
[HOW TO] Enable stand-alone/antonymous GPS on Epic 4G

I find the Epic GPS to work very well generally, especially in custom ROMs like CM7. That said it all falls apart whn trying to use the GPS in airplane mode or when overseas (or other areas with no CDMA cellular coverage). From what I can determine the Epic 4G was not configured properly to use the GPS chip in these circumstances.

To fix this issue you need to change the GPS settings on the actual gpsOne chip. This will allow the phone to get a GPS signal when in airplane mode and/or not within a CDMA service area. The procedure is time consuming and annoying but in may experience, worth it.

DISCLAMER

Well whats the point of having it? Most users dont bother to bring their phones if they know they wont get service there, so why have a gps feature for such an occasion?

you must not travel. i heard that tomtom might be comming to android. not sure where i read it but i did. when that happens my phone just saved me from buying a tomtom...

and i would try it myself but im running linux and to be quite honest i dont want to damage my phone. maybe ill get brave and try it out...

Upvote 0
you must not travel. i heard that tomtom might be comming to android. not sure where i read it but i did. when that happens my phone just saved me from buying a tomtom...

and i would try it myself but im running linux and to be quite honest i dont want to damage my phone. maybe ill get brave and try it out...

I travel internationally, not intra. For me to bring an lg esteem to a place like Nicaragua or Costa Rica is 1. Asking to have my Esteem stolen, 2. Pointless cause i wont have signal and more than likely wont be in a wifi hotspot unless i hit a city like San Jose, 3. Even more pointless because i have been there tons of times, i know how to get around the country, get through immigration, speak with locals to get directions, etc. In short, there is not point for such a feature unless i plan on landing in sub-saharan Africa. -.-

Upvote 0
To have as a GPS? I don't understand your point.

Most users will have a gps seperate for the occasion, or have some sort of "game plan " as to where they are going, how to get there, what they are going to do, etc. also in the event that a user travels to a peripheral or semi-peripheral country, they are not likely to bring an expensive smart phone in fear that it will get stolen, damaged, or lost.

Upvote 0
Were on metro lol. there's a lot of places with no signal so when people have a real Gps that works everywhere. your off asking creepy locals for directions.

Is your lg motion running gpsone???? This wont work on samsung devices because they use gpsd, lbstestmode is the equivalent.

this is a necessry adjustment, as gps will operate under all conditions.

Upvote 0
I travel internationally, not intra. For me to bring an lg esteem to a place like Nicaragua or Costa Rica is 1. Asking to have my Esteem stolen, 2. Pointless cause i wont have signal and more than likely wont be in a wifi hotspot unless i hit a city like San Jose, 3. Even more pointless because i have been there tons of times, i know how to get around the country, get through immigration, speak with locals to get directions, etc. In short, there is not point for such a feature unless i plan on landing in sub-saharan Africa. -.-

You would not get ur phone stolen in costa rica... its not like there's no kinds of technology over there and bout wifi spot ls there's more than u would think but they are password secured lol or hidden

Upvote 0
Update on this. I actually found out that the esteem does indeed have standalone GPS capabilities. With an app called sygic I can go anywhere and get full GPS. Also I might add that I can put my phone in airplane mode and the turn on GPS and use it as a GPS. Sygic downloads all the maps to your device for you too use.

Upvote 0
So do your lg phones use gpsone or gpsd and what networks do you have your lg phones on.

I really want to know if the lg motion 4g on metropcs uses gps one.

If other lg phones on metropcs use gpsone then i guess it does.

I dont get the last post about sygic, doest appear to have anything to do with the orginal post. Apparantly there are hidden menus in lg phones to interface with gpsone, or you can go into the chipset using qpst, cdma workshop. For samsung that is not possile as they use gpsd (so the link is incorrect), requires lbstest mode as ive already stated. This was a hidden menu but was removed by samsung on all lines with gingerbread for some reason so the phone is stuck in network mode. Essentially if you dont change the default settings, gps will only work when connected to the network. If off the network it will only cold or warm start, not hot start, it loses its empheris data and waits for it to be suppled by the cache from the celltowers - which never comes. After about an hour it may reset and cold/warm boot. If you reboot it resets it.

Upvote 0
Update on this. I actually found out that the esteem does indeed have standalone GPS capabilities. With an app called sygic I can go anywhere and get full GPS. Also I might add that I can put my phone in airplane mode and the turn on GPS and use it as a GPS. Sygic downloads all the maps to your device for you too use.

Can you explain how to do this please

Upvote 0

I guess you're not aware of how to conceal your personal possessions and travel discreetly? I realize you have to watch your back in South America, India, and other places where you get stuff stolen from you while you sleep but you must have discovered some countermeasures by now -- as I have...

And if you think travel in South America is risky...hahhaa Africa? They'll cut open if they think you have something stashed in your clothes rather than bother with taking your clothes off.... =)

It's a wonderful place!

Upvote 0

And, best of all......it's FREE!!!!

Upvote 0
So do your lg phones use gpsone or gpsd and what networks do you have your lg phones on.

I really want to know if the lg motion 4g on metropcs uses gps one.

If other lg phones on metropcs use gpsone then i guess it does.

I dont get the last post about sygic, doest appear to have anything to do with the orginal post. Apparantly there are hidden menus in lg phones to interface with gpsone, or you can go into the chipset using qpst, cdma workshop. For samsung that is not possile as they use gpsd (so the link is incorrect), requires lbstest mode as ive already stated. This was a hidden menu but was removed by samsung on all lines with gingerbread for some reason so the phone is stuck in network mode. Essentially if you dont change the default settings, gps will only work when connected to the network. If off the network it will only cold or warm start, not hot start, it loses its empheris data and waits for it to be suppled by the cache from the celltowers - which never comes. After about an hour it may reset and cold/warm boot. If you reboot it resets it.

You, Sir, seem confused. I suggest you re-read this entire thread and consider the words carefully. I believe it will all make sense. =)

Upvote 0
Get it from the market; map updates and app updates are free.

Not really. The the free part anyways. It cost $30 for the us maps and I'm not sure about the eastern world prices. You download the free app from the play store. Then you go online to there site where you buy the licence key. Then you enter the licence key into the android app. You download the data you want. You can download state by state. Then that's it.

Upvote 0
Not really. The the free part anyways. It cost $30 for the us maps and I'm not sure about the eastern world prices. You download the free app from the play store. Then you go online to there site where you buy the licence key. Then you enter the licence key into the android app. You download the data you want. You can download state by state. Then that's it.

Hmm, the description said free; I'll be sure to leave them a nasty gram when I uninstall....

Upvote 0
Hmm, the description said free; I'll be sure to leave them a nasty gram when I uninstall....

no u dont buy it in the market. whats in the market is a 7 day trial and you have to buy it from there website. then they will send you an activation code to your email and you have to enter it into the app to unlock it after 7 days.

edit: o sorry maybe i should reread what i wrote cus i just said the exact same thing. lol

Upvote 0
You, Sir, seem confused. I suggest you re-read this entire thread and consider the words carefully. I believe it will all make sense. =)

I reread it, his statement is incorrect sygic does not provide Standalone gps functionality. I couldnt find anything enabling this within the app. Its simpky a navigational app with offline caching. The enabling of standalone functionality is completed in the chipset via his original post. I doubt that epic post is correct as samsung usr its own hidden menus which tie into gpsd not gpsone. Enabling these on my samsung has no impact on performance. Samsung removed lbstestmode so our devices are stuck in network mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones