• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Porting Sense 2.1 onto Droid

Holy F*CK batman, that phone is FAST.

OMFG, I am so wanting this ROM. I loved Sense on my Eris, it was so clean and nice. I know, it's not for everyone, and some people will always want something "custom" but to be honest, I didn't miss any of the tweaks when I had sense....even when I was reading what was going on with the Droid.

Oh man, I would so donate for this!!!

Upvote 0
Joe, you know all the ROM's you use are illegal also, right?

No, I'm not so sure it is ... but I'm willing to listen. I'm using the new DroidMod 1.0 ROM. All it is essentially is the stock 2.0.1 ROM that's been optimized a tad (mostly due to de-odex'ing the apps), modding the kernel to allow over-clocking, and adding apps that are readily available for free. I won't argue the fact that the o/c kernel voids my warranty, but illegal? I'm not so sure. Please explain.

Upvote 0
I wanted the Eris because of Sense UI but wanted a better phone so I got the droid - :p

I had the Eris for almost 2 months.. I have had the Droid for 1 day and like it more. Do i wish I had Sense, yes as I like the pinch zoom, so i am thinking if I Root my droid this weekend with pete's BB 1.1 (with Stock Kernel) I will be good for a bit

Upvote 0
No, I'm not so sure it is ... but I'm willing to listen. I'm using the new DroidMod 1.0 ROM. All it is essentially is the stock 2.0.1 ROM that's been optimized a tad (mostly due to de-odex'ing the apps), modding the kernel to allow over-clocking, and adding apps that are readily available for free. I won't argue the fact that the o/c kernel voids my warranty, but illegal? I'm not so sure. Please explain.

Cyanogen was doing the same stuff for the G1, and now he does it for the Nexus. Anyway Google finally sent him a C&D citing that he is using closed sourced applications (Gmail, Maps, Market, Gtalk, YouTube etc...), he was told if he wanted to legally make and distribute his ROM's then he must remove said applications. Also the initial setup where you enter you Gmail info is also closed source. Whether or not the apps have been modified was not the point, it was the simple fact that only Google and Google approved affiliates can distribute Android builds containing the closed source bits of the OS.

If you want more info on the Google vs Cyanogen issue search around the net, it's out there.

EDIT: As far as a modified kernel goes I don't think it is illegal at all seeing as how it is open source under GPL or whatever. It may void your warranty but that's not a legal issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones