• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible fix for bad esn phones

Hello, im new to the android forums, and i had a question. I recently broke my phone and i was looking for a replacement. While doing so i found several phones in good condition but with a bad esn. I was curious if i could possibly swap esn numbers between phones, from my broken one to my new one

What he said plus the ESN is hard-coded into the phone, not something you can change or reprogram.
If you're looking for a usable replacement phone the safest place to get one (assuming you're in the US) is on Swappa where the sellers and devices are verified before they are posted.

Would it be possible to take the lcd off a bad esn phone and put it on a good one?

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to take the lcd off a bad esn phone and put it on a good one?

If they're identical yes, but it's twice the work compared to just buying a new replacement display and there is also a possibility of the good one getting damaged when you remove it.
As long as the part is readily available, which it should be assuming we're talking about an S5, I'd highly suggest buying a new one along with the tools necessary to do the swap.
Or, go back to plan A and source a replacement phone.

Upvote 0
As we don't know what phone model you're inquiring about here's a couple of examples of what's involved in replacing a typical smartphone screen. It's not a simple project, you'll need the proper tool set, a heat gun (lots of adhesives), a well-lit work place, and a lot of patience.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S5+Display+Assembly+Replacement/26914

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/LG+G3+Screen+Replacement/33203

If your screen isn't physically damaged there's a small chance the display's little ribbon cable connector became loosened. You could try removing and reconnecting it to see if your screen starts working again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones