• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possoble virus

W

Woppit

Keep getting pop up messages saying I have a Google infecting virus after being on certain sites and I need to download Applock to be safe.
Is this a virus or genuine? There are various apps called Applock on Playstore and I'm not sure which 1 it is to verify it.
I have antivirus which hasn't found anything wrong.
Thanks

Don't download anything like that, they will be traps. Probably just not a very good site to go on and spewing trap popups. A lot of ropy apps do this too. For standard user you don't need "Install from unknown sources" allowed unless you know what you are doing, if you do need to allow it, then I advise you disallow after installing what it is you want
Settings>Security>Unknown Sources
Leave this unchecked when you can and this should help prevent any malicious software installing itself.

If you think you may be infected the only thing I would really suggest is Malwarebytes probably the best deep cleaner for PC & phone alike. However if you just be wary of what you click and you shouldn't need it, I don't bother with antivirus on phone and not been infected yet.

Afterthought; Never install anything Cheetah Mobile. They are the cause of most problems, not the fix. Things like Avast, Lookout etc, reputable names that you know of from PC too should be safe bet but most probably unnecessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones