• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

power button

A

andybog

Hi all, I am after an app that performs the same function as the physical power button (ie quick press screen off, long press for menu that includes reboot, flight mode etc) but is a widget/shortcut on the home screen.

Anyone recommend one?

Ps I am rooted.

Cheers

Hi all, I am after an app that performs the same function as the physical power button (ie quick press screen off, long press for menu that includes reboot, flight mode etc) but is a widget/shortcut on the home screen.

Anyone recommend one?

Ps I am rooted.

Cheers

What you are looking for is "soft power button".

I have never used one, but seem like this one is a popular choice, given the number of downloads:
Power Toggles <---

You might want to search Google Play and look for one with highest star rating.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Just thought I'd update where I'm at with this just in case someone else is after a solution.

I have used Power Button app by Torcellite from the store. You can turn the screen off and access the same long press power button menu you get if you use the physical button.

It needed a source code tweak to work properly but instructions and the code are available from his github page. Even i managed to do it, and I have zero knowledge of programming.

If anyone needs a step by step guide i will post it.

Upvote 0
Guide

1 Download and install AIDE from play store (free edition will do)
2 Open AIDE and click cancel on the pop up window.
3 Click 'clone git repository here' and put Https://github.com/torcellite/Power-Button.git in the 'repository url' and press 'clone' Allow it download all files
4 navigate to src/main/java/org/torcellite/powerbutton/ExecuteEvents.java
5 find the four lines that contain the following code " + z + " and replace it all with a 1 (replace the apostrophes, pluses and z with a 1)
6 press menu then select save
7 press menu then select run, it will do some stuff then prompt to install
8 ENJOY!

Upvote 0
Wow, Andy--thank you for this! :)

I think the power-button remapping information you provided is very cool, but I had never heard of AIDE! :thumbup:

I never imagined that you'd be able to do Android app development on your own Android device :cool:. I dabble a bit with app development and here have been times that I've wanted to make a tweak to one of my apps and I was not at home at my desktop to use Eclipse to make the changes, etc. This could come in very handy.

Your example of using the Power Button app with AIDE is just icing on the cake!

Many thanks! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones