• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Premium Navigation - free or paid for?

SithSurfer

Apr 8, 2010
Scotland
Hey guys,

I'm just playing around with my new DHD and I've opened the Car Panel, opened the Destination and weirdly I can use the Premium Navigation feature... without paying for one? Can someone explain to me how it works? I haven't been asked whether I want to purchase it or anything :)

Cheers in advance!

Oooo...i actually use copilot at the moment, which maybe the unofficial one *cough* but im actually interested in purchasing one so i can get map updates and the such. how much is the full Tom Tom nav to purchase on the DHD?

@sith...is it me or sounds like your using that orange maps thing? :S either that or your a jammy bugger and got it for free? lol (or maybe its only for like 2 weeks try out...) *shrugs*

p.s. has to be the next step for HTC, to provide free sat-nav like nokia does with ovimaps, would certainly differentiate itself for the other carriers out there.

Upvote 0
Well, I've chosen the premium navigation option... hmm, you're saying that Google Maps are working offline too?

Didn't realise you'd chosen that option. I just tried to navigate somewhere and it worked. Only afterwards did I find it was actually Google doing the navigating and Tomtom supplied the built-in maps.

Or you can get the 1-month subscription of $5.99 or a year one for $17 - that brings the costs almost to nothing :)

Is that for the 'premium navigation' option on the DHD? That is, the price for the TT navigation?

Dave

Upvote 0
On my Nokia, before it became free, I was able to transfer it.

On the other hand, if you plan on keeping the phone for more than 14 months, then the lifetime license is cheaper, even if you cant transfer it to another phone.

HTC customer services aren't of any help with it at the moment either. When I called to ask about the Postcode searching, they'd never even heard of Locations

Upvote 0
On my Nokia, before it became free, I was able to transfer it.

On the other hand, if you plan on keeping the phone for more than 14 months, then the lifetime license is cheaper, even if you cant transfer it to another phone.

HTC customer services aren't of any help with it at the moment either. When I called to ask about the Postcode searching, they'd never even heard of Locations

goodness, seriously?? lol hmmm....well i'd like to have a dedicated solution, knowing that, as soon as i pay for one google will release downloadable maps on android 3.0 lol

but cheers for the info :)

Upvote 0
The DHD seems to have to 2 types of navigation.

The 1st type, HTC calls it Turn-by-Turn Navigation, and this is basically a TomTom service where you download the maps pack into your phone and then there are premium services associated with it - such as speed cameras pack and the voice navigation (which I believe is the one you are referring to), where a voice tells you what router to take and when to turn.

There is also a way how to use this maps without having to pay for the premium service, and HTC calls that Getting Directions.
Basically what you do is you enter your location, your destination and you choose if you want to get there by walking or driving. A router will be displayed on the screen and you have to use a Forward and Backward arrows to manually get through your route.

Turn-by-Turn Navigation

Getting Directions

Hope this info was helpfull. I'm not sure if this is 100% correct or not, but that is what I understood from reading the HTC help website.

If this is correct then that will be a great thing as the Turn-by-Turn could be used by someone who heavily relays on navigation to get to places. And the Get Directions could be used by people who sporadically need to undestand how to get to a place (as when you are on holidays and dont know how to get to the hotel).

Upvote 0
so the maps are free, but voice turn by turn then becomes a premium service...ahh i see...cheers for that
Just to clear some stuff out, in terms of car-usable sat nav you've got:

Google Navigation:
  • Turn-by-Turn;
  • Voice prompts;
  • Traffic updates;
  • All features are FREE (+data charges if you don't have a data plan);
  • You need to stay connected as there's no option to download the maps just yet.

HTC Navigation / Locations:
  • 30-day trial version;
  • All maps are downloaded, hence there are no delays and your 3G/HDSPA/GSM signal is not an issue;
  • It has Voice Prompts, Speed Camera and Speed Alerts;
  • You can buy a month, year all life subscription after the trial period;
  • It's pretty damn good and I'm sticking to this one over Google's for the time being.

Hope that helps.

PS. No idea about transferability of the licenses but I assume it's somehow connected to the HTC Sense thus it just might be an option. We'll see how it goes, but then about

Upvote 0
I personally just use "Navigation" on my phone which is Google SatNav Beta, the "Premium Navigation" found in Car Panel is a built in Route66 (it flashes up in the bottom right hand corner after launching), this gives you a 30-day trial when you first plan a route... personally I hate it, the routing is completely irrational, and ideally I want to remove it from my phone... yet to research how easy that is.

Google's Nav is perfect, or rather it would be if it had speed camera alerts... not sure if they can be integrated via some sort of .CSV file or something?

The Premium Navigation also only does 6 digit post codes, and is sloooooooow in resolving them to a physical location due to it searching after each and every digit you type.

My view? Stick to Google's solution, or buy Tom Tom.

Upvote 0
I'm not a big fan of Google Maps because the Voice is barely recognisable, and I've heard it will some times not bother reading out an instruction. Plus there is the whole issue of what to do if you hit a signal blackspot.

On the other hand, the Paid navigation, requires payment, and doesn't seem to have most postcodes (4 out of 5 of my most frequently used cant be found).
Also, the Navigation has a life time license, but the speed camera's and traffic updates only offer a 30 day or 1 year license.

Between the two, there is a perfect SatNav, but the paid Navigation is in early days. Hopefully it'll improve by the time the 30 day trial is up.

Could anyone try the following postcodes and see if they are found?

CV1 3RX
MK3 5EB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones