• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

primer on Android services?

TJFeeniX

Nov 21, 2013
I have installed the Autostarts app, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of clear information available (unless you are a developer?) about what the different services do. I'm an old hat at customizing Windows' start-up configurations, but that experience isn't helping much here.

I've especially noticed that Google Services Framework uses a lot of battery. If I expand that heading and select one of the entries, I see things like this:

Receiver com.google.android.gsf.checkin.CheckinService$Receiver handles action android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED with priority 0.

Others listed under GSF are:
  • com.google.android.gsf.loginservice.MigrateToAccountManagerBroadcast
  • com.google.android.gsf.checkin.EventLogService$Receiver
  • com.google.android.gsf.gtalkservice.ServiceAutoStarter
  • com.google.android.gsf.gtalkservice.PackageInstalledReceiver

If I do a web search for any of these, I get sites geared toward developers, not power/root users. Does anyone know where I can go to get the kind of information about which services do what so I can make educated decisions about what I should disable?

I'm using a rooted Samsung Galaxy Proclaim with the AreaROM v. 1.2 custom ROM from the Android Area 51 site.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones