• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

problem tethering Windows XP PC

jamal540

Lurker
Feb 2, 2013
I am having a problem tethering (for first time) a PC running Windows XP to my LG-VS700 phone running Android 2.3.4. When setting this up, my phone setting showed Mobil e Broadband Connect grayed out.

When I connected the USB cable to both devices, I think it may have automatically thought it was a storage device. Anyway, that's the way it was treating it. On the phone it says it cannot tether when USB storage is in use. From my PC I can see my phone's files, and it's treating it like. USB storage device.

Is this sabotage on the phone side by Verizon, since Mobile Broadband Connect is grayed out? Is it wanting special software or a different plan (illegal, I think)?

I know I need to tell my phone to tether and to tell my PC to use the tetherxp.inf driver, but I don't know what else to do to get there.

I have read many related articles but cannot find my way out of this exact situation. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

jamal540, welcome to the site :) !

Yes, part of your problem is what you solved, you must take your phone out of USB storage mode and switch it to Modem mode. And you are correct, it has a tiny bit to do with tetherxp.inf file, but I believe there's a bit more.

I don't know if you read this thread here:

Solution: Windows XP SP2 (and lower) problem with USB tethering

but it fixed it for me long ago. I used the "Install Microsoft Hotfix KB959765" portion of that post. Motocache1 is a real fart smeller and puts his info out there in alot of detail; that said though, it is in the details and careful reading (and re-reading) is highly recommended. Or even print it out as well to double check it.

good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones