• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem with ROM Manager

My Droid has been running Sholes/DroidMod for nearly a month without trouble, oc'd to 1000 for the last two weeks but I decided I might like to try the ROM Manager to get the latest 2.1 Rom and give it a test drive. When I tap to flash the Clockwork recovery it appears to make progress (downloading I guess) until the permissions screen comes up. I approve su permissions then the app freezes. :thinking: I tried four times; three times it required a battery pull. Once rebooted the phone goes back to normal. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to have one of the Koush roms on the card for it to complete the first part of the process? I emailed the developer, but I'm sure he's busy (and I don't expect support on a free app) so I thought I'd ask here to see if someone else has had the problem or has a solution. If not, I'm happy with DroidMod and will stick with it. Thanks to all those who respond to such posts; I've learned a lot here about my first smartphone.

My Droid has been running Sholes/DroidMod for nearly a month without trouble, oc'd to 1000 for the last two weeks but I decided I might like to try the ROM Manager to get the latest 2.1 Rom and give it a test drive. When I tap to flash the Clockwork recovery it appears to make progress (downloading I guess) until the permissions screen comes up. I approve su permissions then the app freezes. :thinking: I tried four times; three times it required a battery pull. Once rebooted the phone goes back to normal. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to have one of the Koush roms on the card for it to complete the first part of the process? I emailed the developer, but I'm sure he's busy (and I don't expect support on a free app) so I thought I'd ask here to see if someone else has had the problem or has a solution. If not, I'm happy with DroidMod and will stick with it. Thanks to all those who respond to such posts; I've learned a lot here about my first smartphone.

Are you clicking the box that says "Remember" before you press the allow button?

Reactions: squaresailor
Upvote 0
Tried it with and without. I downloaded the latest update, this morning, and same thing. I just got done skimming the long "Koush" thread and realize I should've asked the question there instead of starting a new thread, sorry. Thanks for your quick reply, though. It looks like there are enough problems with those roms that I might stay away for a while. I rely on my phone for work and play and couldn't tolerate 3g or battery issues. It's why I've stayed with the DroidMod 1.0 rom so long.

Upvote 0
Tried it with and without. I downloaded the latest update, this morning, and same thing. I just got done skimming the long "Koush" thread and realize I should've asked the question there instead of starting a new thread, sorry. Thanks for your quick reply, though. It looks like there are enough problems with those roms that I might stay away for a while. I rely on my phone for work and play and couldn't tolerate 3g or battery issues. It's why I've stayed with the DroidMod 1.0 rom so long.

Hmm..I haven't seen that before so I'm not sure what to tell you. Cyanogen is definately NOT "business phone ready" at this time IMO. Bugless Beast is the most stable rom that I have found. If you like the look and feel of Cyanogen...BB v0.9 with Helix2 Launcher is really nice! 7 Screens, running Adamz medium voltage kernel...no FC's, it is fast, and it is stable. That would be my "all the time" setup if this was a business phone for me.

This is it (with the HexFusion Theme applied)
hdoqZ.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks UBrocked, I think I'm going to stay put where I am. I guess I'm socially liberal and telephony conservative. ;-) I'm glad I'm rooted to maintain tethering but I'll wait to see if the DroidMod drama settles down before I jump to a better looking mistress. ;-) Keep up the help and commentary. I appreciate it as I assume other lurkers do.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones