• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems After Replacing Digitizer/Screan Assembly & Main Board

muttleytm

Oct 19, 2012
I had a cracked screen and I replaced the digitizer/screen assembly with a new one. As I was taking it apart I noticed that one of the connectors for the flex cables had the locking mechanism broken. In putting it back together I broke another one. Then I had to replace the main board.

It is all back together now, but, I am having some problems. It would stick at the screen with a grey background and "4G" in white and yellow text. It would also cycle rebooting. I did vol down, power to get to hboot, then did recovery to get to the red triangle and then did vol up vol down power to clear cache and do a factory reset.

Now it all the way to the normal multicolor background, however, the screen lock is on and I can't swipe it to open it.

Does this mean my digitizer is no good? It seems like if it wasn't being recognized you'd get an error message since you can't do anything without the touch screen.

This is what my hboot menu is:

*** LOCKED (00w) ***
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.19.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RaDIO-2.15.00.01.15
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

If I try to do the PCIMG36 restore I'm not sure which file to use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My first advice to someone who asks questions about doing physical work on the inside of a phone is "DONT!" Unless you're experienced with fixing cellphones, you're almost always going to break something while you're fixing something else.

Now you're asking about opening the phone again, so I'll give you the same advice. Because each time you open it and work on it, you risk breaking something else. Eventually you're going to pay more in parts than a new phone, and it will still have a problem.

If you can find a shop that will work on the phone after you've had it open, pay for a repair estimate (they'll charge you by the hour for as long as it takes to find everything you broke). Then, if you want to pay what it's going to cost to fix the phone, get it fixed.

It's cheaper to bring it into a shop the first time. Sure, a screen can cost $20, and they want $100 to replace your screen. Outrageous. But after you've spent $300 trying to get the phone working, it doesn't seem so outrageous. You're paying for experience.

The only difference between the world's best brain surgeon and a guy who kills you when he's working on your brain is knowledge and experience. They're both human beings with 2 eyes and 10 fingers. Give me a violin and I can make noise. Give Heifitz the same violin and he makes music - even if it's a $10 fiddle from a pawn shop. The guy in the shop who works on your phone has replaced dozens (if not hundreds) of screens - that's almost like a cordon bleu chef making hot water. But that's only because he's done it so often he knows what to look for. You don't. Given 6 months training in a repair shop and you would have done it right the first time while paying attention to something else. It's not difficult to replace a screen. Neither is playing a violin. So how come I repaired cellphones for years but can't play a violin?

Do what you're good at to earn the money to pay someone else to do what you're not good at.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones