• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with car charger/over heating

kingdave

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Manchester
Hi guys

I've been using my Nexus 5 as a sat nav quite a lot recently and am starting to run into problems. First of all is the actual charging/battery draining....

I am using a Samsung charger which my N5 says is delivering A/C current (rather than USB) but after 1.5 hrs of driving with Google Maps my batter had drained from 100% to 65%. Only nav was being used, no music or radio or anything like that so I'm a bit puzzled as to the huge amount of drain while it was plugged in and supposedly being charged at the same rate as being plugged into the wall.

Second is, when I arrived at my destination I took my N5 out of the window cradle/holder and it was red hot. It cooled down quite quickly but was pretty warm to the touch (not a weather/sunshine related thing as it was pretty overcast and cool on the day in question and it was much warmer than the inside of my car)

Thirdly, when using Google Maps, it will quite frequently lose satellite signal. I understand this can happen when driving beneath trees or tall buildings etc. but I was on the motorway in wide open spaces and it was losing the signal every 20 minutes or so.

What could be going on with these problems and is it worth contacting Google for a replacement? I bought it in November last year direct from the Play Store.

Thanks

Actually, there is also a fourth problem when using Google Maps as a sat nav; it quite frequently just switches off.

I'll be driving along and the screen will go black momentarily before my homescreen appears and the navigation has ended. This isn't at the end of a journey either, it happens randomly in the middle.

I have to reopen Maps then search again for my destination to resume navigation. If I am in an area with no network coverage (I was in very rural Wales last week when this was happening) it can't find a route without an internet connection.

Upvote 0
The issue with the battery draining is likely that your charger is not providing the phone with enough power. Many car chargers are only .5-1A, and preferably you need a charger that supplies 1.2A or more. Basically, while using navigation, your phone is using a lot of power, between the screen always on, maintaining GPS signals, the processing to determine your location from the GPS information, and the Maps app. A car charger that provides 1.2A or more should keep your phone charged.

If the GPS is working fine but cutting out at a regular interval, I'd suspect it is an issue with a poorly behaving app that temporarily is "stealing" GPS away from the navigation.

The Nexus 5 getting warm is going to happen. Charging alone can cause the phone to heat up; and running a navigation app with the processing the CPU needs to do, along with the antennas active, all while charging the battery you have to expect the phone to be warm. The Nexus 5 shouldn't allow itself to get too hot, though if it is uncomfortable to hold after using it could indicate an issue.

Upvote 0
Have you checked what's running while you're navigating? As mogelijk says, there might be a misbehaving app involved.

If you don't find anything in the usage stats, it may be worth raising a call with Google support (assuming you bought via Play). They'll suggest a factory reset first, of course but if the problem persists you should get a replacement (i.e. a refurb - I just a refurb replacement for my N4 following a warranty issue with the screen). Don't worry: you don't have to go anytime without a phone as the way it works is you 'buy' a refurb first and that arrives with an envelope to send back your original phone. Once they receive your phone, the cost of the refurb is refunded.

Re the phone getting hot: mine does that when I keep the screen on a long time for anything ;)

As for battery drain on GPS: I now have a car charger that ought to provide enough juice, but I still turn the screen off when I can see there's a while to the next turning. Saves juice and reduces the heat.

Upvote 0
I have to reopen Maps then search again for my destination to resume navigation. If I am in an area with no network coverage (I was in very rural Wales last week when this was happening) it can't find a route without an internet connection.

Here's your solution to offline navigation https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&hl=en

This app works like a charm, yes you have to buy the maps, but once you do, you get lifetime free updates. Best money I ever spent on an app :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones