• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Properly close an app?

g0tr00t

Oct 13, 2009
Ok, so after searching for a few hours, I have seen it said three ways.

1. To properly close an app so it doesn't run in the background, you need to back out of it.

2. To properly close an app so it doesnt run in the background, you need to hit your home button.

3. To properly close an app so it doesnt run in the background, you need to go into task manager and just kill it.

All I want to do, is exit the app and have it NOT running in the background.

Reactions: Gray Wolf
This seems to be hit and miss for me. I've seen all three methods you mention work and it's all dependent on the app and not even consistent with those apps all the time. I think some of them close out themselves after a certain period of the time after the phone goes to sleep and they haven't been used. The Brower being the one I definitely notice doesn't close immediately, but will close itself after a period of sleep.

I've just gotten used to occasionally going into Advanced Task Killer and hitting the "Kill All" button for apps I don't have on my ignore list. It's the easiest app I've found for quickly closing non-essential apps.

PS. Hey! Nice avatar! :)

Upvote 0
The home button doesn't kill apps and should just bring up your Sense UI middle/main screen.The back button behavior is controlled by the writer of the app in question. For instance I have a solitaire game that uses the back button to undo moves, rather I had the game it's un-installed now because of that very thing, and you couldn't "back" out of the game at all. The browser uses the back button for, well, back and doesn't back out. However I have been reading some of the in-depth threads over at xda developers and have come to the conclusion based on the evidence there and the performance on my hero that most of the time you don't need to kill applications at all.

I came from BB -> Sprint Mogul -> Touch Pro -> Hero and even though I work with Linux for a living and know Android is Linux I will still searching for a good task manager. The honest truth about task managers on Android is that you only need them to kill misbehaving applications. The Linux scheduler that Android uses is quite good at taking care of memory use and the CPU is not used unless an application is active. Most of the folks wondering about memory usage don't understand how Linux works on that front. Linux will use every bit of available memory it can all the time and release what's not actively in use, like for a sleeping app, as needed. So unless an app has a memory leak then it's not actually tieing up an memory and unless it has sleep issues then it's not tieing up the CPU. When I started looking at things for the right perspective, read: this is linux not just another smart phone, then I realized that a task "manager" isn't necessary just something lightweight, that exits or sleeps when I push the back button, that will kill an out of control app is all that is necessary.

All that said there are plenty of apps that suck at both sleep and memory leaks and it can become necessary to kill them. So far, and based on my professional experience with Linux, Taskiller is the best app for most users as it only shows applications and doesn't let you screw up your phone by killing processes. It does one thing and does it will. If you are lazy you can set up the ignore list, on the paid version which is cheap, and then use the widget to kill everything else. What I use it for is to kill off the occasional ill coded app right before I uninstall it. With the exception of the sleep issues with the messaging app I can have everything stock running and have no performance issues even an extraordinary number of widgets.

So the answer to what you want to do is, technically, that it's not necessary. I know that's probably not the answer you want but the rest of the answer might suck even more and that is that the behavior you want is controlled by whoever wrote the app and not the OS. If you want to kill apps, which can in some cases screw up the app and cause a re-install, you'll need a task manager. I would recommend not killing apps outright but rather figuring out which apps are screwing up your performance and find a replacement for them or kill them when necessary, one at a time, using the free version of TasKiller.

chart

Upvote 0
@romeosidvicious - That is EXACTLY what I wanted to see. Thanks for the explanation :)
Whew! I am glad you wanted all of that. When I got done I was sitting going: "I have done it again, a ton of information no-one will care about"...hit post..."they will be drooling before they get through the end of it"...smack forehead..."Stop being a nerd"...wander off for a smoke

And then I come back and it's what you wanted. NERD FTW!

Upvote 0
The home button doesn't kill apps and should just bring up your Sense UI middle/main screen.The back button behavior is controlled by the writer of the app in question. For instance I have a solitaire game that uses the back button to undo moves, rather I had the game it's un-installed now because of that very thing, and you couldn't "back" out of the game at all. The browser uses the back button for, well, back and doesn't back out. However I have been reading some of the in-depth threads over at xda developers and have come to the conclusion based on the evidence there and the performance on my hero that most of the time you don't need to kill applications at all.

I came from BB -> Sprint Mogul -> Touch Pro -> Hero and even though I work with Linux for a living and know Android is Linux I will still searching for a good task manager. The honest truth about task managers on Android is that you only need them to kill misbehaving applications. The Linux scheduler that Android uses is quite good at taking care of memory use and the CPU is not used unless an application is active. Most of the folks wondering about memory usage don't understand how Linux works on that front. Linux will use every bit of available memory it can all the time and release what's not actively in use, like for a sleeping app, as needed. So unless an app has a memory leak then it's not actually tieing up an memory and unless it has sleep issues then it's not tieing up the CPU. When I started looking at things for the right perspective, read: this is linux not just another smart phone, then I realized that a task "manager" isn't necessary just something lightweight, that exits or sleeps when I push the back button, that will kill an out of control app is all that is necessary.

All that said there are plenty of apps that suck at both sleep and memory leaks and it can become necessary to kill them. So far, and based on my professional experience with Linux, Taskiller is the best app for most users as it only shows applications and doesn't let you screw up your phone by killing processes. It does one thing and does it will. If you are lazy you can set up the ignore list, on the paid version which is cheap, and then use the widget to kill everything else. What I use it for is to kill off the occasional ill coded app right before I uninstall it. With the exception of the sleep issues with the messaging app I can have everything stock running and have no performance issues even an extraordinary number of widgets.

So the answer to what you want to do is, technically, that it's not necessary. I know that's probably not the answer you want but the rest of the answer might suck even more and that is that the behavior you want is controlled by whoever wrote the app and not the OS. If you want to kill apps, which can in some cases screw up the app and cause a re-install, you'll need a task manager. I would recommend not killing apps outright but rather figuring out which apps are screwing up your performance and find a replacement for them or kill them when necessary, one at a time, using the free version of TasKiller.

chart
Thanks for the information. Im coming from Windows Mobile, so I am used to closing apps I dont want and switching between app. So the Android OS is new to me. I called customer service and they had no idea. I figured it was designed to close itself, otherwise the battery would die really fast.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. Im coming from Windows Mobile, so I am used to closing apps I dont want and switching between app. So the Android OS is new to me. I called customer service and they had no idea. I figured it was designed to close itself, otherwise the battery would die really fast.

I totally understand. I use the base OS for living and was still trying to close apps like I used to on WinMo. It takes some getting used to but right now I have everything on my ignore list, Browser, Market, Albums, IPcalc, NewsRob, and Twidroid running without any noticeable performance difference. The slide changes in Sense are snappy, the unlock is quick, and dragging down notifications appears to be the same speed as it is when nothing is running but my ignored apps. It's a different mindset but it's easy for me since I am writing this on a Linux box and that's sort of what I do. ;)

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm not completely new to Linux, so I was wondering if all the angst over closing apps was really necessary.

Ditto here... I've been running a Linux box for a few years and I've still been angsty about running apps... <slaps forehead> Just let the OS do it's job, dummy... That's tough to say (and do) in a world dominated by problematic OSes.

Thanks for this post. It should be stickied, imo.

Upvote 0
the home button doesn't kill apps and should just bring up your sense ui middle/main screen.the back button behavior is controlled by the writer of the app in question. For instance i have a solitaire game that uses the back button to undo moves, rather i had the game it's un-installed now because of that very thing, and you couldn't "back" out of the game at all. The browser uses the back button for, well, back and doesn't back out. However i have been reading some of the in-depth threads over at xda developers and have come to the conclusion based on the evidence there and the performance on my hero that most of the time you don't need to kill applications at all.

I came from bb -> sprint mogul -> touch pro -> hero and even though i work with linux for a living and know android is linux i will still searching for a good task manager. The honest truth about task managers on android is that you only need them to kill misbehaving applications. The linux scheduler that android uses is quite good at taking care of memory use and the cpu is not used unless an application is active. Most of the folks wondering about memory usage don't understand how linux works on that front. Linux will use every bit of available memory it can all the time and release what's not actively in use, like for a sleeping app, as needed. So unless an app has a memory leak then it's not actually tieing up an memory and unless it has sleep issues then it's not tieing up the cpu. When i started looking at things for the right perspective, read: This is linux not just another smart phone, then i realized that a task "manager" isn't necessary just something lightweight, that exits or sleeps when i push the back button, that will kill an out of control app is all that is necessary.

All that said there are plenty of apps that suck at both sleep and memory leaks and it can become necessary to kill them. So far, and based on my professional experience with linux, taskiller is the best app for most users as it only shows applications and doesn't let you screw up your phone by killing processes. It does one thing and does it will. If you are lazy you can set up the ignore list, on the paid version which is cheap, and then use the widget to kill everything else. What i use it for is to kill off the occasional ill coded app right before i uninstall it. With the exception of the sleep issues with the messaging app i can have everything stock running and have no performance issues even an extraordinary number of widgets.

So the answer to what you want to do is, technically, that it's not necessary. I know that's probably not the answer you want but the rest of the answer might suck even more and that is that the behavior you want is controlled by whoever wrote the app and not the os. If you want to kill apps, which can in some cases screw up the app and cause a re-install, you'll need a task manager. I would recommend not killing apps outright but rather figuring out which apps are screwing up your performance and find a replacement for them or kill them when necessary, one at a time, using the free version of taskiller.

chart

bar code slick.....brought me right to no searching...thank you.

Upvote 0
in my experience, Task Panel X is the best for 3 reasons:

1. FREE

2. Unlimited Ignore List. TaskKiller makes you pay. I don't know about you guys, but I don't figure out if I like a program for a few days -- long past the refund policy. If I were paying just $1 for every app I've ever downloaded, I would've wasted over $300 by now, but only have about 40 apps to show for it.

3. WANTED LIST!
Yeah, it's nice to be able to kill misbehaving apps, but why not have an app that does it for you? GoogleVoice, voice search, voice dial, and a few other apps like to open themselves and run in the background. So I've put them on the Task Panel X Wanted List. So every hour, if memory is below 30kb Task Panel X goes through and auto kills things from my Wanted List. Simple, easy, and my droid flys most of the time now. I rarely have to open Task Panel X.

Upvote 0
yeah but...... what is "misbehaving"

simply "being there" isn't misbehaving - and that's what TPX does - it kills whatever you tell it to kill.. on a schedule

romeo there seems to be saying its okay for all those apps to be running - kill stuff that "needs" to be killed

@romeosidvicious - have you tried TPX? can you recommend it? is TPX doing TOO much? is that why you recommend Taskiller?

what is a "misbehaving" app - how can we tell what should be killed and what should be left alone?

thx

Upvote 0
yeah but...... what is "misbehaving"

simply "being there" isn't misbehaving - and that's what TPX does - it kills whatever you tell it to kill.. on a schedule

romeo there seems to be saying its okay for all those apps to be running - kill stuff that "needs" to be killed

@romeosidvicious - have you tried TPX? can you recommend it? is TPX doing TOO much? is that why you recommend Taskiller?

what is a "misbehaving" app - how can we tell what should be killed and what should be left alone?

thx

Apps that behave properly give up their memory and take next to no CPU time to sleep. The only CPU time they take is the time to list the process. What TPX does is unnecessary. On a Linux based OS, which is the only true multitasking OS for phone, you don't need to kill apps if they aren't actively using memory. The issue with the stock messaging app is an example of a misbehaving app. It stays "awake" forever one you use it to send a message and doesn't release its memory or CPU cycles and due to that drains the battery, slows down performance and so on.

It is hard to get past the MS Windows mindset that if something is running then it's using the same resources when you aren't actively using or when you are. That's simply not true on Android or any other Linux based phone OS. I suggest TasKiller because it's easy to use, free, and not having an unlimited ignore list tends to force you to pay attention and close things manually. Managers like TPX will cause folks who don't understand the sleep process and backgrounding on Linux to close way more than they should. Look at all the threads here and other places about function X not working and the answer is "You killed the background process".

The reason the phone is slow right after boot is because HTC has too much stuff loading on boot and all trying to sync information. At boot none of the processes are backgrounded until they complete their sync. Right now we have no way to edit the services that load at boot time so we just have to deal with it. Once they background themselves the phone speeds up but at boot they are all vying for the processor, network stack, and RAM. Once they complete the phone speeds up. This is HTC's fault and a better way to do it would have been to load only whatever is needed for basic operation and the widgets on the home screen then load the other screens' background processes as they are accessed not all at once. HTC also autostarted things regardless of whether they are in use on any of the Sense screens which is not a good idea but for the most part these are well behaved apps and killing them isn't necessary. Running a task killer at boot only slows the boot process further as it too is asking for processor time in order to kill each single app it wants to kill.

Again, probably too much information, but I hope this helps folks realize that the Android phones are not iPhones and not WinMo phones and background apps, as long as they are coded right, are not screwing up their performance.

Upvote 0
Romeo I never think that it is enough. I enjoy your posts as I learn more and more. So I would say keep spewing the knowledge because there are some of us absorbing it like sponges :)

Don't worry ;) according to my wife it's hard to shut me up. Especially on the topic of Linux based systems. I have been doing that for a living for eight, almost nine years, and am still passionate about it. I was an MCSE before that and ended up having to use Linux on a contract and never looked back!

Upvote 0
my phone gets really REALLY sluggish by the afternoon

i figured it was all the apps running - so yeah, i did the TPX thing

i'll uninstall it now

on the sprint users forum i am seeing ppl reporting they're not running ANY task killers and theyr'e doing fine - but i chalked that up to not having many contacts or really not using their phone heavily

see, i USE my phone - i'm heavily into the contacts and also on the calendar, while talking on the ph alot - with a little bit of web browsing sprinkled in here and there

but lately i'm beginning to think its really just that i had up over 2500 contacts - its gotta sift through all those contacts in order to do anything

by the afternoon, i can wait LITERALLY for a minute for the search window in People to fully load and let me search -- i read other ppl griping about 2 or 3 secs of lag.... if only!!

so.. i've weaned out as many (and i mean AS MANY) contacts as i could - and (thx to romeo) now i'm only syncing the groups that i actually need ("my contacts" vs "all contacts")

ima gonna go bareback now too and uninstall task killers and task managers

i'm starting to see some instability.. the weather portion of the clock will be on for a split second then disappear - ugh! its probably because things are getting killed in the background

we should start up a list of poorly programmed apps -- maybe it should get its own thread - just like there's a thread for "htc hero" and "sprint htc hero" we should have an "app hit list - use at your own risk" thread

that was the idea behind the market - it would be open - but the community would police itself

what d'yall think??

Upvote 0
my question is... how are we going to know when an app is playing nice with all the other kids on the block, and how do we know when we've got a bad actor?

i think i'll have to depend on the online community to report if something is good or bad

??

for now, i'm just going to take my hands off

i've culled my contacts list and i'm only syncing the groups i need.. we'll see how native android handles itself on its own

Upvote 0
here's what i'm seeing...

killing apps frees up memory - freeing up memory makes this phone much more snappy

yes, linux/android/hero apps are *supposed* to give back memory when they're done or when they're not "active" -- but they don't!

i'm not talking about the little 3rd party off-market dev'd in one-day wonders... i'm talking about the core apps on this phone.... People, calendar, gmail, Browser, Mail, handcent (and messages)..... they are ALL taking up memory

the task killers/managers/panels display how much memory is available, you watch it increase as you click stuff off

the "idea" of apps being able to run in the background, to be "present" but hardly taking up any system resources, is nice but it doesn't "scale well" to reality

that's what i'm finding anyway

for me... the task manager stays - i won't put it on automatic, but i'll definitely be manually killing apps to free up memory

i HAVE to have a responsive phone - its a tool

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones