• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PSA Sneak Peek for Android "L" is out!!!!

So I was thinking of flashing this but I keep getting "Fastboot.exe has stopped working error....so maybe its a sign. Anyone know how to repair that?

Also do all the stock apps work like browser, sms, maps, etc? If so thats fine I only use Chase app and TB since I'm rooted but mostly stock experience.

It is definitely worth trying out!! To start... I would re-download/install the fastboot.exe to your pc or even use WugFresh's driver tool kit program to uninstall any and all N5 drivers and then reinstall them with the driver program. Somehow the fastboot.exe is not installed or operating properly to recognize your N5.

Pretty much all stock apps and all most all root apps work just fine. Except for Titanium backup... And of course xposed framework, works on dalvik only. TB hasn't been updated to suppory Android L just yet. Although you can create a flashable user databackup.zip of TB and it can be flashed through recovery after flashing the ROM.zip to restore data.
There's the N5 Android L developers preview... Which can be flashed through fastboot and then there are also Android L Roms that can be flashed through custom recoveries... and then flash either the modified Android L Boot.img and then flash the the SuperSU 2.0.1.zip thought recovery or flash the Code Blue Custom Kernel and then SuperSU 2.0.1 to gain proper root access.
I guess the real question at this point is... Do you have a custom recovery or stock recovery installed on your N5?
Take a look here - [ROM] N5 L Developer Preview (flashable) + R… | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers

Upvote 0
It is definitely worth trying out!! To start... I would re-download/install the fastboot.exe to your pc or even use WugFresh's driver tool kit program to uninstall any and all N5 drivers and then reinstall them with the driver program. Somehow the fastboot.exe is not installed or operating properly to recognize your N5.

Pretty much all stock apps and all most all root apps work just fine. Except for Titanium backup... And of course xposed framework, works on dalvik only. TB hasn't been updated to suppory Android L just yet. Although you can create a flashable user databackup.zip of TB and it can be flashed through recovery after flashing the ROM.zip to restore data.
There's the N5 Android L developers preview... Which can be flashed through fastboot and then there are also Android L Roms that can be flashed through custom recoveries... and then flash either the modified Android L Boot.img and then flash the the SuperSU 2.0.1.zip thought recovery or flash the Code Blue Custom Kernel and then SuperSU 2.0.1 to gain proper root access.
I guess the real question at this point is... Do you have a custom recovery or stock recovery installed on your N5?
Take a look here - [ROM] N5 L Developer Preview (flashable) + R… | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers

If I flash the rom will I keep my custom recovery? If I can restore a nandroid of my current set up I'd love to give L a test drive.

Upvote 0
If I flash the rom will I keep my custom recovery? If I can restore a nandroid of my current set up I'd love to give L a test drive.

Absolutely... Create a current backup of your setup now through TWRP. Then just follow the instructions in the thread to flash... It's a ROM.zip so you flash it through recovery.
The biggest one is following the zip instructions -

Boot into recovery (TWRP/CWM)
- Un-mount /system in TWRP/CWM
- Wipe: system, data, dalvik and cache
- Flash ROM (be patient - takes a while)
- Flash SuperSU (optional)
- Flash radio (optional)
- Reboot (first boot takes a while)

Seriously the first actual ROM install and the first actual boot takes a while... Expect the whole process to be 10- 15 mins.
I flashed the ROM, then rebooted and set everything up and then rebooted recovery and flashed SuperSU 2.0.1.zip, flashed the modified boot.img ( I would flash Code Blue Kernel instead) and then I flashed the new radio.zip.
Then you can create a nandroid of Android L and flash between DU and L. It's pretty sweet!!!

Reactions: thisISjoel
Upvote 0
Absolutely... Create a current backup of your setup now through TWRP. Then just follow the instructions in the thread to flash... It's a ROM.zip so you flash it through recovery.
The biggest one is following the zip instructions -

Boot into recovery (TWRP/CWM)
- Un-mount /system in TWRP/CWM
- Wipe: system, data, dalvik and cache
- Flash ROM (be patient - takes a while)
- Flash SuperSU (optional)
- Flash radio (optional)
- Reboot (first boot takes a while)

Seriously the first actual ROM install and the first actual boot takes a while... Expect the whole process to be 10- 15 mins.
I flashed the ROM, then rebooted and set everything up and then rebooted recovery and flashed SuperSU 2.0.1.zip, flashed the modified boot.img ( I would flash Code Blue Kernel instead) and then I flashed the new radio.zip.
Then you can create a nandroid of Android L and flash between DU and L. It's pretty sweet!!!

Gonna give it a go! Will report back!

Upvote 0
Hmm, so yesterday I noticed a serious camera issue (using the Google camera app it goes to take the picture and the app just freezes, force closing & wiping data etc just results in a black screen and "can't connect to camera" error) I rooted the phone the other day. The trouble I'm having is that I've not used the camera since flashing Android L so not entirely sure when the issue rose.

Getting the dreaded mm-qcamera-daemon showing up in GSM battery monitor whether I use the camera through a third party app like hangouts or not. Third party camera apps also don't work

This crap was fixed I thought (and I only ever encountered it once in the past) now I'm getting this issue every time I do anything related to the camera. Urgh.

Upvote 0
Man, I forgot how much better L was on battery than 4.4.4

Been streaming podcasts for 5 hours straight now and still at 75%. KK wouldve had me much lower than that by noon.

Yeah I lasted a few days back on 4.4.4 before reinstalling L, can't fault the battery life, my only niggle with it now is NetFlix crashing when trying to cast to a device.

Really impressed with this developer preview, love it.

Upvote 0
Quick question: in general can it be said that if an app works with ART then it will also work with the L preview? Thanks

No, there are several apps not working with L currently. For example, I don't know that any video apps (Netflix, HBOGo, Hulu, WatchESPN, etc.) are currently working, at least other than YouTube. Beyond that, I've heard of people having issues with Google Docs, Dropbox, Slack, Karma, Kindle, Nook, Zinio, IKEA, Dolphin, Firefox, Vine, and many games (particularly if processor/video intensive). Lightflow has issues but can work, though you can't have the slide unlock (which is the default).

Twitter was having issues but I've heard it is working after an update. As always, YMMV.

Upvote 0
Quick question: in general can it be said that if an app works with ART then it will also work with the L preview? Thanks
As mentioned above - not necessarily. I've hardly had any incompatibility issues with art on 4.4, but L is an entirely different beast.

The bigger ones for me were Facebook, and HBO go. I've just uninstalled them. Facebook was usable but had a particularly hard time not chewing through my battery .

I've just uninstalled them. I prefer L atm

Reactions: exninja
Upvote 0
I installed L for a hot minute and then went back to 4.4.4, just to get the taste. I use my phone for work so much that it was hard to justify a possibly buggy outcome. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like a bunch of you are using L as your daily driver. That's exciting, certainly. Re: Battery, with the stock kernel 4.4.4 and just using tasker to automate wifi, location and brightness states. I'm able to get a full 2 days of use out of my phone before needing to charge it. I can't imagine what L has in store for my battery!

It's going to be a long summer

Upvote 0
I installed L for a hot minute and then went back to 4.4.4, just to get the taste. I use my phone for work so much that it was hard to justify a possibly buggy outcome. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like a bunch of you are using L as your daily driver. That's exciting, certainly. Re: Battery, with the stock kernel 4.4.4 and just using tasker to automate wifi, location and brightness states. I'm able to get a full 2 days of use out of my phone before needing to charge it. I can't imagine what L has in store for my battery!

It's going to be a long summer

Yeah I ran L for like a week without any problems at all and then returned to Dirty Unicorns.
I just flashed L and Code Blue kernel again yesterday just to give it a run again. Ill probably run it for a couple of days and then return back to DU. Its definitely cool, different and fun to try out! Looking forward to an official release though.

Upvote 0
I'm in need of an update or official release now, been running it for ages and only just realised yesterday that tethering doesn't work! (I don't use it often but needed it last night)

Also I've never been able to get 4G data on Android L which is an annoyance but I get good speeds on 3G so I overlooked it.

They finally sorted out the comments issue on Facebook too, shame. I'll be going back to Kitkat at the weekened most likely.

Upvote 0
I'm in need of an update or official release now, been running it for ages and only just realised yesterday that tethering doesn't work! (I don't use it often but needed it last night)

Also I've never been able to get 4G data on Android L which is an annoyance but I get good speeds on 3G so I overlooked it.

They finally sorted out the comments issue on Facebook too, shame. I'll be going back to Kitkat at the weekened most likely.

Wish granted.. Google Posts Updated Android L Preview Images (LPV81C) For Nexus 7 (Razor) and Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)

Not sure what's changed yet though other than Fit SDK being added

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Is this only working for the nexus devices so far?
Its a developer preview, and since nexus devices are considered developer units its available on them from google.

Porting L to another device would be pretty difficult, and probably not a good use of time as things will change a lot before official release. I don't doubt the tenacity of devs though ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones