• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about rooting and it's capabilities.

Taiken84

Lurker
Jul 7, 2011
Hey Guys,
A couple of questions.

1. What is the functionally different between temp and perm rooting?
2. Do I have to root to change the theme of my phone? For example, changing how the lock screen looks or removing the faves button on the dock bar.
3. If I choose to use apps like launcher pro , will that reduce battery life even more?

Thanks in advance.

2. Do I have to root to change the theme of my phone? For example, changing how the lock screen looks or removing the faves button on the dock bar.
There are apps to change the look/function of your lock screen, add shortcuts etc (ie Widgetlocker). To change the dock shortcuts you can use Launcher Pro, ADW, or pretty much any other launcher app.
3. If I choose to use apps like launcher pro , will that reduce battery life even more?
No...not that I have noticed. If you are concerned about battery, try to keep your updating (news, weather etc) apps to only update manually or very 3-6+ hours. I use Launcher Pro+ and LOVE it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones