• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about the amount of ROM Available?

mcbtrain929

Android Expert
Nov 5, 2009
So, it definitely blows that this was advertised with 1 gb of ROM, and we only ended up with about 370mb of ROM. But, it is what it is.

Now, I know RAM is more important when it comes to making the phone snappy and dealing with all the open apps. But, does it affect the phones performance when the phone gets low on ROM? I'm around 220mb of available ROM, which is still a good amount, but i cant help but check the file size of every app and game i download and cringe if its bigger than average.

So, is there a number I should try to stay above? 150mb, 100, 50, or does it really not matter as far as the phone's responsiveness and snappiness is concerned?

Thanks guys!

Well, a chunk of that internal space is taken up by the OS and default apps, along with other odds and ends. Regardless, it shouldn't really make a difference, unless somethings is seriously trying to cache a lot of data to internal storage. I'm at, oh, 120MB left off the top of my head and performance seems identical to when I first got the phone. Unlike some older/other phones that shared app storage space with running program memory space, it should be totally separate on the EVO.

Just to be safe, I'd keep a small chunk free in case something needs to use that space all of a sudden. I'm not sure if Android winds up doing anything related to storage maintenance or not. On my old myTouch/Magic, I went down to less than 3MB on it's storage, and it chugged along OK.

Upvote 0
pretty sure it's not as big of a deal as say a Windows Mobile phone.

I believe Linux handles ROM differently than Windows does. I know my old WinMo phone would slow to a crawl if i had to much on it or didn't reset as it had a decent memory leak(HTC Diamond). I remember runnign CleanRam every 6 hours and it'd go from 80mb to 110mb of free rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones