• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question by a Virgin Rooter

Ruh17

Dec 17, 2009
California
As the title hints at I am definitely a noob when it comes to rooting a phone. Actually, the Eris is my first smart phone. But I am more than capable of following tech directions and such, and I would never do anything without running it by people who know more than I...etc etc

That being said I have a few questions that I almost feel embarassed asking. After you root your phone, when you turn it on it just loads up Sense like your phone isn't rooted correct? But you have access to the root folder correct? And then to enter any of the commands you have to download a command prompt program and then mount it on your sd card then install correct?

Please go easy on me. And please don't just post a link to the irc forum. I'm sure those people are extremely knowledgable on the subject, and i have no reason not to trust their judgement. But, I've been checking this forum almost daily since November, and I feel like I know who to trust and who's just full of hot air. Smacky that means you! ;) Sooo kidding. Anywho.. any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I'm in the same boat! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there ^_^.

I upgraded my Eris to the 2.1 leak off of YouTube. I'm so ignorant to the root topic I thought that I had rooted my Eris using the .zip file that contained the 2.1 leak :( haha.

Glad to be at square one though, this site is really helpful with topics and aid in subject areas like this. I'd really like to learn the benefits and cons to rooting my phone so when I do I dont brick my Eris....because that would be terrible.

Upvote 0
As the title hints at I am definitely a noob when it comes to rooting a phone. Actually, the Eris is my first smart phone. But I am more than capable of following tech directions and such, and I would never do anything without running it by people who know more than I...etc etc

That being said I have a few questions that I almost feel embarassed asking. After you root your phone, when you turn it on it just loads up Sense like your phone isn't rooted correct? But you have access to the root folder correct? And then to enter any of the commands you have to download a command prompt program and then mount it on your sd card then install correct?

Please go easy on me. And please don't just post a link to the irc forum. I'm sure those people are extremely knowledgable on the subject, and i have no reason not to trust their judgement. But, I've been checking this forum almost daily since November, and I feel like I know who to trust and who's just full of hot air. Smacky that means you! ;) Sooo kidding. Anywho.. any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers! [!quote]

to answer your question fine Sir, your first two assumptions are correct, but your third assumption is wrong. If you follow the amazing Grdlock's guide you should get a better understanding. after installing the SDK you just plug your phone into your computer, don't mount it, and then use the command prompt on your computer. Thank you for playing. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions down the line and I'd be happy to help where I can.

Apparently my quote did not approve if my snarkyness.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones