• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question: TMobile G2 Touch running Generic HTC Hero ROM. How do I upgrade?

alistair182

Lurker
Sep 16, 2009
Hey there everyone, sorry if this is a dumb question but I am slightly confused as to how to proceed!

I used Amon-Ra's custom recovery image (v1.2.2) last year to flash the Generic HTC Hero ROM update onto my T-Mobile G2 Touch (as I was missing texts and having a variety of problems last years update fixed, but TMobile were taking ages to release their branded version of the ROM).

My phone currently runs the Generic ROM (no root) and still has the custom Amon-Ra recovery image. My thinking was that come future updates I would not be waiting on T-Mobile getting their act together when Android releases new features and improvements.

So, that in mind I used the "set your date forward" method of forcing my phone to spot the first OTA update released this week ahead of the full OTA 2.1 upgrade but the update failed with the following message:

Build : RA-HERO-v1.2.2
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: No signature (218 files)
E: Verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have looked around and find various people saying restoring the previous stock recovery image has fixed it for them and allowed them to use the first OTA update but I was just wanting peoples thoughts/expertise on the potential problems of going OTA through TMobile to get an upgrade if I am still running the Generic HTC Hero ROM?

Should I use Amon-Ra to flash the current TMobile ROM and then replace Amon-Ra with the original recovery image? (I have a copy of it from my previous nandroid backup and from backing up with flashrec at the time).

Or will I get away with just replacing Amon-Ra with the original?

Cheers in advance for any and all possible advice!

I would replace both; the current official firmwares are limited to specific phones (e.g. T-Mobile/Orange/unbranded) and presumably the new ones will be too. So trying to recieve an official update whilst running the wrong firmware is asking for problems.

You may as well just install the official t-mobile firmware using the proper .exe; either way you're giving up root access and amon ra.

Reactions: alistair182
Upvote 0
Cheers for the advice. Is pretty much what I assumed but didn't want to try anything myself!

Though I am curious, if this is the case, how was I able to install a generic hero ROM on the G2 Touch in the first place? I take it you mean there is a difference between flashing ROMs and installing OTA updates which are coming from "official" sources/servers?

Also, some people online are reporting being able to install the "preparatory" update regardless of whether they are running the correct ROM for their handset/network combination. If this is the case, will they not be able to use/install the second OTA update (the one to full 2.1) if their phone is "prepared for it?

Don't worry, not gonna risk it! Just curious as to how it all works. Do handsets have something in the hardware which lets them know only to work with certain software?

Upvote 0
Yeah you're right; there is a difference between flashing via the recovery menu and installing properly using the official .exe files. Every hero is capable of running every different version of the firmware, which is why you could flash the generic one onto the G2. It's just the .exe installers check the phone's serial number to make sure you're putting the firmware they want on. Therefore it's likely that the OTA updates will also be limited like that.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to do an OTA update whilst running the 'wrong' firmware. Maybe you'd get the generic 2.1, maybe it would check your serial number and send you the T-Mobile one. Or, more than likely, it may not work at all.

I'm sure somebody out there will report back when the real thing comes out. But unless you're willing to wait for that to happen, I'd do it the proper way :)

Upvote 0
Thanks again for the advice/clarification. :)

Just to confuse things further though, a friend of mine (the one who originally put me onto the idea of flashing my own choice of ROM rather than waiting for T-Mobile to get their act together) has only just got back to me (as I asked him the same question I posted here yesterday) to say that he removed Amon-Ra and replaced it with the backup recovery image, then the first OTA update appeared and worked/installed fine on his G2 Touch. (?!)

He, like me, was running a G2 Touch on T-Mobile with the Generic 2.73.405.5 ROM (unrooted), and after the update is now on 2.73.405.93 (as HTC said should be the case for anyone updating their unbranded Hero's OTA).

Checking the T-Mobile forums, everyone there who has successfully performed the first OTA is saying they now have build number 2.73.110.91.

Does this mean the OTA updates are possibly dictated just by the software version you are running and not network or handset? How else would an official update work on the "wrong" phone? Do you think this means the second OTA will work if his phone has been correctly prepared for it?

I personally think he got lucky and told him what you told me about switching back to stock/branded ROM matched to the handset, but thought you may be interested in case this throws new light on the situation (or as i suspect, just confuses it more!).

Cheers again!

Upvote 0
(or as i suspect, just confuses it more!)

You got that right :p

Well, it does seem I guessed wrong then. The first OTA updates must not check the original branding of the phone. Although that's no guarantee that the second, full update wont check.

If you wanted to hang onto the unbranded software, I'd let your friend try it out first :p

You'd still need to restore the original recovery image like he did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones