• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions from a total beginner

Peter123

Android Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
Dear Eris users,

I have only a "dumb" cell phone (DP) and I am thinking to step up to the Eris' level. A lot of things are not clear for me so please help me out.
1. I can send pictures and text from the DP, so what is the difference with the smart phone (SP)? (On the SP I cant receive e-mails, I know.)
2. The SP has data conection web e-mail, calendar.. is this going through the Wifi part of it or the cell radio?
3. I see a lot of discussion on disbling various services to save battery. When I disable Wifi are all related servides disabled automatocally? (Like sync with google. etc)
4. If I am in Europe where CMDA is not available, can I use web and e-mail if I am connected to a Wifi hot-spot?
5. Is e-mail from gmail delivered to the cell phone directly or I have ot open the browser and open gmail there?
6. Texting as it is done on the old DP, on the SP is it going through the data network?

Sorry if these naive questions may irritae someone....

Thank for the advice.
Peter

PS an Idiot's Guide to smart phones would be nice...

1. I can send pictures and text from the DP, so what is the difference with the smart phone (SP)? (On the SP I cant receive e-mails, I know.)
Not much other than you have the choice of how to send the pictures for example you can MMS, EMail, Upload to Facebook or Flickr. With a DP you simply have to send it though MMS. So you have more options.

2. The SP has data conection web e-mail, calendar.. is this going through the Wifi part of it or the cell radio?
The ERIS has WiFI so when that is turned on it uses the WIFI as long as it has a connection. When WIFI is turned off it will use VZW 3G data service (cell radio)

3. I see a lot of discussion on disbling various services to save battery. When I disable Wifi are all related servides disabled automatocally? (Like sync with google. etc)
The ERIS has a setting to turn Wifi on or off. When I am in a wifi hot spot (or home) i simply turn it on and then turn it off when I leave that hotspot. I have heard that actually the wifi uses less battery but really dont know for sure

4. If I am in Europe where CMDA is not available, can I use web and e-mail if I am connected to a Wifi hot-spot?
Yes since the WIFI is not dependant on the Cell service or data service

5. Is e-mail from gmail delivered to the cell phone directly or I have ot open the browser and open gmail there?
Directly. There is a Gmai App installed on the phone that will display your GMail, and it is usually pushed to the phone so you should not have to go looking for it. Altough I think you can change that option if you wish.

6. Texting as it is done on the old DP, on the SP is it going through the data network?

There is no difference between DP and SP on texting it is done the same way

Good luck it is a great phone

Upvote 0
Thanks, Jlopcpa.

One more question:
You say my incoming gmal is being pushed to Eris. I don't want to be bothered each time a new e-mail comes in.
In fact, I want to be in control (enabling/disabling) of all incoming activities (I would leave on only the phone). So I don;t want to be "pushed on" but rather I want to be able to initiate the "push".
How it that done?
Peter

Upvote 0
You can change the auto-sync settings on the phone to disable it.

Why would you not want to have the mail automatically pushed to your phone? I leave mine on and really does not interfer with the other operations of the phone. You can change the notification so it does not make a sound and all you would have would be a notification on the notification bar at the top of the phone.

Upvote 0
You can change the auto-sync settings on the phone to disable it.

Why would you not want to have the mail automatically pushed to your phone? I leave mine on and really does not interfer with the other operations of the phone. You can change the notification so it does not make a sound and all you would have would be a notification on the notification bar at the top of the phone.

If I could turn off the (sound) notification for e-mail only (so the phone still rings) that would solve my problem.
Peter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones