• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions from newbie having trouble

whazzup

Lurker
Jul 4, 2010
I've tried a search and can't find what I need.

New to the DInc from BB. I can't find some things:

1) Aside from turning the phone on, I don't see any indication that there is a message. On the BB, for example, the light blinks red that there is a message, so I knew when to look for it. Is there a similar feature on the incredible?

2) Is there more than one way to wake up the phone? Or do you only have to use the button on the top? It's a little annoying, but I guess I could get used to it. I would much rather the trackball be the on button (kinda' like the iPhone). Is there a way to program that?

3) I'm having trouble getting a bluetooth connection to my imac. Is that a common problem? What is the advantage to that? Can I transfer files?

Some simple issues, but I use the device for work and my initial impression is that it may not be as user friendly as I had hoped. I appreciate any help. Thx.

I will try to answer the first 2 (I don't have an iMac)

I've tried a search and can't find what I need.

New to the DInc from BB. I can't find some things:

1) Aside from turning the phone on, I don't see any indication that there is a message. On the BB, for example, the light blinks red that there is a message, so I knew when to look for it. Is there a similar feature on the incredible?

The charging indicator will flash green when there is a message, though it will stop after about 10 minutes.

2) Is there more than one way to wake up the phone? Or do you only have to use the button on the top? It's a little annoying, but I guess I could get used to it. I would much rather the trackball be the on button (kinda' like the iPhone). Is there a way to program that?

Take a look at the following thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-incredible/127179-wakeup-via-trackpad.html

3) I'm having trouble getting a bluetooth connection to my imac. Is that a common problem? What is the advantage to that? Can I transfer files?

Again I don't have an iMac, nor do any of my computers currently have bluetooth capabilities so I can't address this.

Some simple issues, but I use the device for work and my initial impression is that it may not be as user friendly as I had hoped. I appreciate any help. Thx.

I hope I've at least given you something to go on.

Upvote 0
1)Setting>Sounds&Display>Notification Flash(at bottom)>then just check everything you want the LED to flash to notify you. The LED will(should) flash when you have a notification.
2)There is no option for this on the stock device. There are some programs that seem to do this but it might require root, but I have not tried them. Try a search, there are a few threads on this.
3) BlueTooth seems to have some connection issues with some devices. The best thing for now would be to just connect with USB to transfer until the BT issues are resolved. (not sure if you can transfer over BT though)

As for using it for work, I'm not sure what you use it for, but there are alot of options and setups for android to customize to your needs(unless its a hardware issue). Just do some searches on things you would like to do and try out some apps. Hopefully things improve for you. This is my first android device and only 2nd smartphone (Omnia), so there is definitely a learning curve. But after a few days of just exploring and playing with it to see what it can do, I will never go to a different platform.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones