• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quick questions to check I have the steps right

KutuluKid

Jan 12, 2013
Jax, FL
OK. Going to update to the latest build, d/l and put in the readytoflash folder, wipe ________, then flash and reboot. This is the Dirty flash, i think? I also wanted to try a kernel, where do d/l'd these? So, since I only have PC's running Win 8.1, which I cannot get the drivers to work. I want to make sure that I get this right from the device only.

Hey there! You'll want to provide us with a bit more info so we know exactly what you are trying to do.

What ROM are you on? Your device info on the left says DU but assumptions tend to end up badly. :) Most ROMs and their updates are flashed the same way, but the kernel you use will depend on the type of ROM.

Upvote 0
Yeah, sorry. OK running DU ROM. Nexus 5 obviously. Love this phone and ROM combo. I wanted to just flash the newest stable build over my current one, I have read that this is a dirty flash. I am just nit sure what to wipe before i flash. I also wanted to try a kernel that would be a bit better at power consumption, the one I have now seems to only go as low as 1.2 according to the quick tile for the CPU. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the max/min values using the sliders that come up from the quick tile for CPU freq. Or can someone suggest a good power saving style kernel. I never really do anything truly demanding on my device to need 100% of the CPU anyway. Thanks in advance to all.

Upvote 0
Yeah, sorry. OK running DU ROM. Nexus 5 obviously. Love this phone and ROM combo. I wanted to just flash the newest stable build over my current one, I have read that this is a dirty flash. I am just nit sure what to wipe before i flash. I also wanted to try a kernel that would be a bit better at power consumption, the one I have now seems to only go as low as 1.2 according to the quick tile for the CPU. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the max/min values using the sliders that come up from the quick tile for CPU freq. Or can someone suggest a good power saving style kernel. I never really do anything truly demanding on my device to need 100% of the CPU anyway. Thanks in advance to all.

All you need to wipe is dalvik cache and cache to update the same ROM. Kernels don't require a wipe, but wiping dalvik cache and cache won't harm anything.

You might want to hold off though, android 5.0 just dropped yesterday and ROMS will start updating to that base soon

Upvote 0
First it's always recommended that you clean flash any amd all versions of the DU builds to make sure that there are no left and lingering system mods or changes that may/can cause conflict and undesirable behavior on the new build being installed.

For a dirt install you just need to download the DU v8.1.zip. Boot to your custom recovery (commands will be slightly different depending on if your using TWRP or CWM based recovery, basically click on "Install zip" and then navigate to where you have the latest DU v8.1.zip build version saved, usually Dot's in the "/sdcard/download/" folder, scroll down and click on the DU ROM and confirm installation. There is no need to wipe anything additional on a dirty flash with DU.
DU runs a script that by default it will "Extract/Format the System Partition, (wipe the system) and typically this is enought for updating a ROM and you will keep your user data settings also.
I've personally dirty flashed the last numerous Test Builds and Official builds with out Any issues... Again your MMV.
Once DU 5.0 is released I will definitely perform a clean install and clean out all the cob webs and start out fresh, clean and ready for this build..

Hope this helps and if you have any questions or need any help just let us know... Or if you decide that you want to do a clean install we can hello you with that also.

As Rxpert said too.. 5.0 OTA and Factory Images will be dropping any day now.
I'm sure I'll run the Official release until DU is updated to 5.0 and shortly after we will see a lot of custom ROMs running 5.0 very soon!

It's is late :goodnight: when I have some time tomorrow we can talk about kernels and how some change the file system and you have to dirty flash your current ROM that your using to reset kernel setting to the value of the kernel included in your current ROM (DU)
After that you can r then flash a compatible AOSP kerenl... Franco, ElementalX, Stock kernel included in DU and etc...

Upvote 0
I though that was the right way, I just do not have any way to fix things if I f-up as my shitty laptops both run 8.1, which I had only once recognize my N5. I just went ahead and did a clean wipe and flash. Now onto the kernel. If you could give me the proper steps and also some links to some of the d/l'd pages as I get a bit confused trying to even find them in the forums. There is so much in here to read through. I would prefer something that is good on battery life versus better performance. Thank you for your help on explaining the dirty flash. Thanks in advance for your reply.
I also really need to just get an OTG cable in case I do make a mistake. :D

Upvote 0
I though that was the right way, I just do not have any way to fix things if I f-up as my shitty laptops both run 8.1, which I had only once recognize my N5. I just went ahead and did a clean wipe and flash. Now onto the kernel. If you could give me the proper steps and also some links to some of the d/l'd pages as I get a bit confused trying to even find them in the forums. There is so much in here to read through. I would prefer something that is good on battery life versus better performance. Thank you for your help on explaining the dirty flash. Thanks in advance for your reply.

My favorite is franco kernel, although there are certainly others.

His download directory is here:
Index of /Nexus5/4.4/zips

And our discussion thread is here:
http://androidforums.com/nexus-5-all-things-root/794726-kernel-franco-kernel-discussion.html

As far as how to flash a kernel, its very straightforward

Wipe dalvik cache and cache and flash away :)

Upvote 0

There are a few custom kernels that run great on the N5 and can/will help improve battery life and overall performance of the device.
These are some of the more popular ones - I personally prefer either Franco, ElementalX or the included kernel with DU.
You can also download Trickster Mod from the play store, which is compatible with most of these kernels and that will allow you to adjust and change the kernel settings. Just make sure you know what your doing when adjusting any kernel settings, like over clocking or under volting and etc...
You also need to only download the AOSP version of the kernel if your using Dirty Unicorns. The CAF kernel versions are for CM based ROMs, so don't use those on DU.

Franco Kernel - [KERNEL] [GPL] [N5] franco.Kernel - r67 | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

Here's a whole list of the Franco kernels for the N5 - Index of /Nexus5/4.4/zips

The last version of Franco kernel for the N5 running 4.4+ is r63. Anything above that is for android 5.0.

ElementalX - [KERNEL] [Nov 3] ElementalX-N5-2.01 | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

Furnace kernel - [KERNEL] Furnace-1.3.6 for Nexus 5 [AOSP/CAF… | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

Code Blue kernel - [KERNEL] [Code_Blue r615] [Lollipop LPX13D & LRX21M / KK 4.4.4 AOSP & CAF] - Post #1 - XDA Forums

Trinity kernel - [DER KERNEL] Trinity for Nexus 5 | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

To install any one of these kernels... Download the zip version of one of your choice, then just boot to recovery (no need to wipe anything) select "install zip" navigate to "/SD card/download/" select the kernel and flash. Reboot the device and done.
Remember if you active options like sweep to wake or double tap to wake these will use more battery life.

If you want to switch to a different kernel... Just dirty flash DU again and then install the kernel that you want. Some kernels will/do change the file system and that's why you can't just flash one kernel over another one.

Hope this helps and if you need any help or have any questions let me know.

Reactions: Hook and Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones