1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RAM issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lukeyy96, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Lukeyy96

Lukeyy96 Newbie

I'm a big fan of regularly clearing the RAM of my phone in task manager which usually takes the amount of free RAM to about 400MB. But all of a sudden it's started only having about 660MB free. I looked in active applications and there's nothing there. Can anybody suggest a reason as to why so much RAM is being used? Thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert

Android works better when RAM is being used. Free space is just wasted, let the OS manage it, you don't need to bother. Clearing RAM isn't necessary. It's not Windows, which gets slow once the RAM is filled. If the memory is close to get full, Android automatically shuts the recently less used app on memory.

3. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

400mb or 660mb is fine for Android. It loads stuff up, regardless. Even the 2gb version gets loaded more than the 1gb version. Why? Because Android can. Not that it should, but that is how it was designed.

The real hardware constraint is actual I/O speed of the device and if single or dual channel throughput. Memory management on Android is different than Windows, so not an apple to apple convention.

4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

And also read RAM who cares in my signature

5. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

Why? Unused RAM is wasted RAM. I hope you don't do this on your PC as well.

6. Hogan773

Hogan773 Android Enthusiast

Better to keep it clean rather than have the RAM get "tired" from holding stuff in there that it's not using, right?

(I'm joking)

7. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Yes. By "clean" we're talking dish washer, right? Leaving in a wash basin is bad

8. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Due to the evil Windows design of memory management in the past, it is more than undertood why there is a common assumption of not enough ram. Not to mention some accuracy as well, since devices with funky low ram and poor allocation design DO have problems: G1, DX2 are two examples alone.

Seems anything above 1gb ram could be argued (for most cases) as perhaps too much and anything below 512mb as too little. That said, the more database, spreadsheet apps and 3D games start getting released, 2GB could be the standard down the road, for tablets anyway.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews