• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lukeyy96

Apr 9, 2012
I'm a big fan of regularly clearing the RAM of my phone in task manager which usually takes the amount of free RAM to about 400MB. But all of a sudden it's started only having about 660MB free. I looked in active applications and there's nothing there. Can anybody suggest a reason as to why so much RAM is being used? Thanks in advance

400mb or 660mb is fine for Android. It loads stuff up, regardless. Even the 2gb version gets loaded more than the 1gb version. Why? Because Android can. Not that it should, but that is how it was designed.

The real hardware constraint is actual I/O speed of the device and if single or dual channel throughput. Memory management on Android is different than Windows, so not an apple to apple convention.

Upvote 0
Due to the evil Windows design of memory management in the past, it is more than undertood why there is a common assumption of not enough ram. Not to mention some accuracy as well, since devices with funky low ram and poor allocation design DO have problems: G1, DX2 are two examples alone.

Seems anything above 1gb ram could be argued (for most cases) as perhaps too much and anything below 512mb as too little. That said, the more database, spreadsheet apps and 3D games start getting released, 2GB could be the standard down the road, for tablets anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones